Start Date: Final positions left for an immediate start, plus application now open for the next programme which starts in September 2018 until June 2019.
Are you thinking of enhancing your career overseas? CAPS in Spain will offer this and much more:
CAPS (Conversation Assistant Programme for Schools) is a programme designed to place committed, young, dynamic and creative native English speakers in a Spanish school for 25 classroom hours per week as a Conversation Assistant (CA). Over the last seven years, we have placed over 1,500 Conversation Assistants in more than 400 Spanish schools.
There are two different types of CAPS programme, CAPS and CAPS PLUS which are adapted to take into account the Conversation Assistant’s background, skills and experience and also the specific needs of each school.
The role of the CA is to aid in improving teaching and student communication in English within a Spanish infant, primary, secondary or technical school.
General tasks include:
- Assist in a whole class along with the main teacher to aid dictation, reading, and give presentations explaining about their own country, culture, customs, etc.
- Carry out tasks individually, in pairs or with groups either in the main class or in a designated space within the school.
- Help with any questions about the English language, especially related to pronunciation and forming appropriate sentence structures.
- Help in other subjects that are taught in English such as Science, Art, Information Technology, Physical Education, etc…
- Assist with the preparation of classes or help to prepare complementary material/activities for example; dialogues, quizzes, reading exercises, games, audio-visual activities, presentations, preparing displays, etc. and also help with the preparation of oral examinations such as Cambridge (PET), (KET), etc.
- Complete the CAPS Family Project. This is a series of interesting tasks and activities that the CA completes with the host family during their stay. The CAPS Family Project is designed to help each family member practice and improve their English linguistic abilities with the aid of the CA. The project also helps the CA and family form a strong relationship as there is a feeling of a ¨real language exchange¨ within their home.
- If a Conversation Assistant has any other skills or passions for example; music, theatre, sports, etc. the school may incorporate these into the school environment.
Potential additional tasks (dependant on programme):
- Speaking (conversation practice) with teachers (CAPS / CAPS PLUS)
- Constructive hours dedicated to host family (CAPS / CAPS PLUS)
- Speaking (conversation practice) with teachers plus reinforcing English language structure (CAPS PLUS only)
- After-school activities (CAPS PLUS only)
One of the main benefits for choosing CAPS is that each CA lives with a volunteer host family.
By living with locals rather than other travellers, the CA receives an authentic first-hand cultural experience. If a CA really wants to give the most of themselves by spending time with the family, this is reciprocated, and it is usual that the CA forms strong bonds that continue after the programme has finished and for many years to come.
Benefits of living with a host family:
Safe & comfortable environment
Even though most CA's have a good level of independence in their home country, for many the idea of moving to another country can seem a daunting task and there will inevitably be feelings of homesickness. Living with a host family who provide support in a safe environment is a great way to help a person adjust and settle in to their new lives in Spain.
Living with a host family gives everyone the opportunity to practice and improve their language skills. The host family (especially the children) will want to practice English, and vice versa the CA will want to learn and practice the host’s language. There is no better way to do this than in the relaxing and low pressured atmosphere of the family’s home.
Host family accommodation takes away a lot of the financial pressure of living independently. Meals, laundry, internet and transport to and from the school are covered, leaving the CA free to spend their grant as they wish.
What we offer:
- A monthly student grant of 315€ (CAPS Programme) or 465€ (CAPS PLUS Programme) & host family accommodation.
- Free certified (six ECTS credits*) TEFL (Teaching English as a foreign language) training course, provided by an internationally recognised Spanish university.
- Free travel insurance is provided for participants who have a Non-European passport. As Non-EU citizens require a student visa to join CAPS, this is a significant cost saving in the visa process.
- Each assistant is registered in the Spanish social security system, and is therefore entitled to have access to the Spanish Public Health Care System.
- No joining/administration fees with all details of your placement arranged and agreed with you before arrival. Only after official acceptance will you be asked to provide a clear Criminal Records Bureau (CRB) check and a small placement holding deposit which is returned upon arrival.
- Continuous support and feedback from the assigned tutor/mentor in the school and by CAPS Home to Home the programme organizers.
Being a CA with CAPS provides a unique and unforgettable journey which has many professional and personal benefits:
International work experience
This will make each successful CAPS graduate stands out from the crowd in the eyes of employers. Taking a placement in a foreign country shows initiative, a willingness to move out of a person’s comfort zone, the ability to take on new challenges and adapt to new environments.
Gain 'real' classroom experience.
Learn and grow in a highly reputable school, surrounded by professionals.
Learn a foreign language
By being fully immersed in a new country and living as a local, provides each CA with constant opportunities to learn and practice the language
Make a difference to the lives of others
Each CA can take great satisfaction in knowing that they are not only providing a way for people to communicate in English, but also helping people to achieve their goals and change their lives and minds in all sorts of positive ways.
Positions are extremely limited, and very soon we will have to open up a waiting list
- Enthusiasm for working with children and encourage them to speak in English.
- An adaptable attitude and the ability to socialize and interact with people.
- Desire to live in a foreign country and make the most of the experience.
- Commitment to give there all during the full programme.
- Native English speaker. The ability to speak Spanish is not required nor is the need to have previous teaching experience.
- Age between 18 and 27
- Completed pre-university studies.
- No prior criminal convictions
Accepted degree subjects
A student grant ranging from: 315€ to 465€ monthly grant living with a host family (CAPS/CAPS PLUS).
Primarily regions of Catalonia & Valencia
Contract and working hours
How to apply
Number of vacancies: Nine
For applicants applying from outside of the EU visa restrictions apply. Therefore we are only able to accept applicants from the following countries who are eligible to apply for a student visa from their local Spanish Embassy: USA, Canada, South Africa, Australia and New Zealand.
Closing date: Continuous recruitment
This job listing will no longer be available on Prospects from 22/09/2018