Put yourself at the forefront of our global business, working to identify, assess and manage risk. You will work with people of all levels across the firm, develop a broad understanding of products and their risks and start building your professional network
What you can expect
Understanding, mitigating and managing risk is at the forefront of how we do business, and critical to our current and future success. Risk managers help manage our financial reputations and regulatory performance, while working across the business to shape decisions, influence models and interface with regulators. Corporate and Investment Bank (CIB) Risk includes opportunities within credit and market risk as well as the related Chief Investment Office, Treasury and Corporate Risk Group.
Our ten-week summer programme is a challenging, but hugely rewarding opportunity to learn about the world of CIB Risk including opportunities within Credit, CTC and Market Risk.
- The Credit Risk team works in partnership with many areas of the CIB including sales, trading and banking and is responsible for the risk of not receiving payments from a client.This risk can relate to products and services including loans, derivatives and trading activities. The Credit Risk team manages counterparty risk by evaluating client’s financial strength through discussions with senior management and clients.
- Market Risk works in partnership with the CIB trading businesses. The team tracks market events, performs portfolio analysis and provides risk advisory for multiple asset classes including FX, rates, equities, credit, securitised products, and commodities retained by the firm.
- Chief Investment Office, Treasury and Corporate (CTC) Risk manage the risk of the retained portfolio generated from the Chief Investment Office, Global Treasury, and other corporate businesses.The team’s responsibilities are varied across risk stripes, and include participating in risk analysis, providing independent oversight, developing key risk analytics presentations, among other activities
The Corporate and Investment Bank Risk summer programme starts with a five day orientation and training session. Expert instructors and J.P. Morgan professionals will teach you about our history, our products and the intellectual property that serve our clients. You’ll gain technical and practical knowledge and the inspiration and insight you need for success. During training you will learn skills that include valuation analysis, accounting, corporate finance, economics, equity capital markets, debt capital markets and risk analysis. Once on the desk, depending on your group, your responsibilities as a summer analyst may include: performing analysis/due diligence on a counterparty/product, monitoring risk sensitives across individual counterparties and the portfolio as a whole, building financial models, contributing to analytical exercises in response to global events, preparing reports to outline recommendations to senior management and assisting in evaluating market moves that could cause losses to the firm.
J.P. Morgan Asset Management is a leading investment manager of choice for institutions, financial intermediaries and individual investors, worldwide. With a heritage of more than two centuries, a broad range of core and alternative strategies, and investment professionals operating in every major world market, we offer investment experience and insight that few other firms can match. Our teams have a clear focus on managing client assets and delivering strong risk-adjusted returns with leadership positions in America, the United Kingdom, Continental Europe, Asia, and Japan.
Over the last 200 years J.P. Morgan has evolved as a business to meet the complex financial needs of some of the world’s largest companies as well as many of the smaller businesses that drive industry change globally and locally. Their team of employees work hard to do the right thing for their clients, shareholders and the firm every day.
J.P Morgan’s strength lies not only in the quality of its products and services, but also within the talent of its employees. Harnessing the diversity of its people, J.P. Morgan values people with different talents, ranging from Investment Banking to Technology, Operations and Human Resources.
J.P. Morgan is looking for future leaders who have passion, creativity and exceptional interpersonal skills. Impeccable academic credentials are important, but so are achievements outside the classroom. Working with a team committed to doing their best, earning the trust of their clients and encouraging employees to fulfil their potential – that’s what it means to be part of J.P. Morgan.
Qualifications and experience requirements
Our Summer Analysts come from a variety of backgrounds and graduates from all disciplines are encouraged to apply.
- We recruit from all academic degree disciplines - you do not need a finance degree
- You must have an expected degree minimum of a 2:1 or European equivalent (second year results should clearly demonstrate that this is a realistic indication).
- Quantitative, analytical and communication skills
- Proficiency in Excel and Word
- Project management skills and the ability to deliver under pressure and to tight deadlines
But beyond that, what we’re most interested in are the things that make you unique: the personal qualities, outside interests and achievements beyond academia that demonstrate the kind of person you are and the difference you could bring to the team.
Accepted degree subjects
Contract and working hours
Fixed term · Full-time
How to apply
Early applications are recommended as screening will start immediately.
Closing date: 26/11/2017
This job listing will no longer be available on Prospects from 26/11/2017