We’re recruiting enthusiastic, collaborative and forward-thinking graduates who are ready to start their career in construction. If you have at least a 2:1 degree in a technology-bias engineering discipline e.g. communications, electronic/electrical engineering – or you’re in your final year and on track to achieve one – we want to hear from you.
We are looking for a Graduate Engineer to work as a valued member of the Strategic Highways team. The Graduate Engineer will be assisting the Senior Engineer with all activities, where required, relating to the study, development, design, value management and preparation of technology schemes on the Highways England motorway and APTR network.
- Undertake specific projects as directed by the Senior Engineer, to include; planning, development and design for the application of highways technology assets e.g. VMS, MIDAS, CCTV
- Undertake the planning and design of power and communications infrastructure for highways technology assets
- Identify and apply appropriate methodologies and standards to produce effective and innovative solutions. Actively contribute and record efficiencies and innovations.
- Carry out investigation, surveys and studies; and provide relevant reports to include potential problems, issues recommendations and solutions.
- Co-ordinate other relevant discipline surveys, safety audits etc. within the Kier Highways team and wider group where applicable.
- Liaise with specialist supply chain to coordinate design input / output.
- Applying skills and knowledge to review and prepare technical design packages, to include drawings, briefs and specifications.
- Identify and undertake all health and safety activities as required under the current CDM regulations under supervision of Senior Engineer and in consultation with the Principle Designer utilising appropriate employee risk assessments
- Liaise with the Client, Police, local Highway Authority, statutory undertakers and other bodies where applicable, attending meetings where required.
- Keep the Senior Engineer appraised of activities, providing reports where required.
- Assist in the support, training and development of junior team members where applicable.
- Actively promote Health and Safety in the workplace, setting a good example to other employees and ensuring awareness of and compliance with general Health and Safety responsibilities as set out in the Health and Safety Management System.
- Perform other duties as may from time to time be reasonably required.
What you’ll get:
- A competitive salary
- A company car
- Life assurance
- Membership of our pension scheme
- Share options
- 26 days’ holiday plus bank holidays
- Kier’s industry-renowned Graduate Development Programme
- Support in achieving chartership with the ICE or similar relevant body.
Kier Group plc. is a leading construction, property, residential and services group which invests in, builds, maintains and renews the places where we work, live and play. We operate globally across a range of sectors including defence, education, health, housing, industrials, power, transport and utilities. Listed on the London Stock Exchange, we are a constituent of the FTSE 250 Index.
With a network of 88 UK offices Kier offers national coverage across all of its core activities. Employing 25,000 people, Kier has the financial strength and technical expertise to undertake some of the most significant construction, civil engineering and service contracts in the country.
Kier is an equality and diversity employer.
- A good understanding of the highways technology asset needs with experience in technical areas including but not limited to; Intelligent Transport Systems (ITS), SCADA, CCTV, MIDAS, VMS & Signals, Highways Infrastructure - roadside equipment, power supplies and distribution, communications cable networks, NRTS, RCC in-station equipment.
- SMART Motorways and Expressway experience would be advantageous.
- Ability to deliver ITS/technology components for highways projects including production of design calculation, drawings, communication drawings, specifications etc.
- Ability to collate and analyse large quantities of relevant data, then demonstrate findings in a report or presentation.
- Able to perform detailed desktop and on-site surveys to gather accurate and relevant information to support the successful development and design of a solution.
- Experience in the use of MS Word, MS Excel and AutoCAD systems is essential.
- A highly motivated individual with excellent communication skills, with the ability to deliver solutions and successfully manage time to meet project deadlines, able to work independently with minimal supervision and take project ownership for delegated duties as well as demonstrate mentoring skills. strateg
- A current UK full driving licence is essential for the role as site visits will be required.
Qualifications and experience requirements
- Degree or equivalent qualification within a technology bias engineering discipline e.g. communications, electronic/electrical engineering. Relevant experience in highways and traffic technology or similar would be desirable.
- Obtained or working towards professional qualifications e.g. EngTech, MIET, IEng to CEng
- Working knowledge and experience of Highways England standards and procedures.
Accepted degree subjects
Contract and working hours
How to apply
Closing date: Continuous recruitment
This job listing will no longer be available on Prospects from 31/12/2016