The School of Computing and Digital Technology at Birmingham City University (BCU) is partnering with Hockley Mint on a 18-month Knowledge Transfer Partnership (KTP). Hockley Mint Ltd is a prestigious award-winning Jewellery manufacturer and has been in business for over 65 years. HM designs & manufactures bespoke and batch jewellery for large retailers, retail outlets and direct retail alliances – further information can be found here https://www.hockleymint.co.uk/
This position forms part of the Knowledge Transfer Partnership (KTP) programme co-funding by a grant through Innovate UK. KTPs offer a wide range of benefits including access to a £3,000 Personal Development budget to upskill during the project. For more information on KTP please go to https://bcuadvantage.co.uk/innovate/ktp/
You will be based full time at Hockley Mint Limited (Birmingham) (B18 6NG) and will lead on the technical development of the project and be supported by academics from BCU’s School of Computing and Digital Technology.
The role requires the successful candidate to work closely and effectively with the company's IT and management staff as well as BCU staff, taking a leading role to:
- Analyse and re-design the existing business processes to improve end-to-end integration.
- Collaborate with internal and external stakeholders to gather the business system requirements.
- Design, develop, test and deploy the newly developed JewelleryChain system – the modular and scalable bespoke business system within the company and replace the existing legacy system.
- Integrate the new system with existing HM systems to manage ordering and stock handling.
- Embed interactive reporting capabilities and dashboard, preferably using Ms PowerBI
- Develop a strategic and ambitious long-term plan for the use of JewelleryChain system within the company, enabling effective workflows and informed decision making.
- Embed and exploit the knowledge and expertise transferred during the project within the company and communicate any technical concepts appropriately and effectively to different stakeholders.
- Perform administrative tasks relevant to the project, as assigned by the line manager.
- Author reports for all stakeholders showing the progress of the project.
- Document research output in research papers and contribute to publications of international quality journals/conference during the KTP.
What we are looking for
- Strong programming skills and be comfortable developing in several Full Stack Web Development Frameworks, such as Java, Python and .NET frameworks.
- Working knowledge of DevOps practices system architecting and design
- Working Knowledge of SQL, Database Design and implementation
- Working Knowledge of Interactive Reporting Dashboards tools, preferably Ms PowerBI
- Working knowledge of Issue tracking and Project Management software
- A deep understanding of Application Interface programming developments (APIs) such as Rest APIs.
- Practical working experience of latest software development approach such as Microservices.
- Understanding of systems integration and change management
- Knowledge of business process modelling methods
- Enthusiastic, self-motivated and able to take a proactive role that will successfully deliver the work plan in the proposal.
- Excellent communication skills to express ideas adequately and articulate complicated matters between the academics and the company project team members either orally or in writing.
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving and computational skills along with being Adept at applying knowledge to commercial projects, driving value and making an impact where possible;
- Strong leadership and project management skills.
- Educated to degree level in computer science or applied computing discipline with a First Class (or 2:1 Honours)
- Master’s and PhD students are also welcome
Accepted degree subjects
- computer sciences
Additional job details
- £34,000 - £42,000
- Contract, dates and working times
- Fixed term
How to apply
Shortlisting: Monday 22November
Interviews: week commencing 6 December
The University is committed to internationalism and diversity and welcomes applications from all countries, faiths and backgrounds.
It is each individual successful applicants responsibility to ensure that they have permission to work in the UK. Some applicants may require sponsorship from the University and a visa from UKVI to take up the role if successful. More information on this can be found here
Some roles are not capable of sponsorship because they do not meet the UKVI criteria relating to skill and salary level. If you are unsure as to whether you would require sponsorship if successful, or whether the role is capable of sponsorship, please contact us
Click Apply to start your application now. This job will be available on Prospects until 21 November 2021
Don't forget to mention Prospects to employers when you contact them.
Closing date: 21 November 2021