Wilmat Limited and The School of Engineering and Built Environment at Birmingham City University (BCU) are looking to appoint a Knowledge Transfer Partnership (KTP) Associate. The Design and Development Engineer KTP Associate position forms part of the Knowledge Transfer Partnership (KTP) programme co-funded by Innovate UK.
It is essential that you understand how KTP works with business and the University, and the vital role you will play should you be successful in securing this KTP Associate position.
This Knowledge Transfer Partnership (KTP) Associate will be based at Wilmat Limited. Wilmat is an established company specialising in manufacture of lifting and handling equipment (specialist forklift and other mobile equipment). Wilmat are profitable and have a strategic vision to modernise and increase its product offerings, allowing Wilmat to diversify into emerging specialist market sectors. The associate will work within the team at Wilmat Limited Birmingham office and be supported by academics from the School of Engineering and the Built Environment at BCU.
Roles and responsibilities will include:
- The design, development and implementation of a wireless remote control system for a range of materials handling vehicles at Wilmat Ltd
- Micro computer programming and basic electronics will be a key activity within the project
- Development of the system will require the associate to develop a product design specification (PDS) based upon the commercial plans of the Wilmat Ltd whilst ensuring a safe and functional product is produced
- Engagement and interaction with external agencies to ensure that the vehicle meets all legislative requirements
- The use of current and emerging hardware systems to develop and pilot
- Surveying the market of COTS wireless, microcontroller systems to identify the most appropriate technology to use ensuring that the lessons learnt during the project will form a legacy that will allow the company to continue to develop its market offerings after the end of the project
- Involvement in all aspects of company operations from marketing and sales to design, safety and maintenance. This holistic approach to understanding the company and its customers will be essential in defining the PDS for the remote control system
Company terms and conditions
- 21 days holiday in any calendar year plus eight UK national holidays
- Working hours; 37 (Monday to Friday)
Fixed-term - 27 months.
What we are looking for
Good technical and social skills. The associate will be expected to interact with some of the most senior people inside and outside of the company.
Candidates must be adept at applying knowledge to commercial projects, driving value and making an impact where possible, with an ability to solve problems and create innovative solutions.
A masters engineering degree with a keen interest in mechatronics is desirable, however, a bachelor’s graduate would be considered, subject to suitable experience and maturity.
Accepted degree subjects
- mechanical engineering
- electronic and electrical engineering
Additional job details
- £24,000 to £27,000
- Contract, dates and working times
- Fixed term
How to apply
As part of your application, please ensure you attach your CV. Candidates are advised to remove personal information, including names to ensure a fair and transparent recruitment process.
Please note; on occasions where we receive a large number of applications, we may close the advert ahead of the publicised closing date. If this does happen, we will contact all candidates via email who have started but not yet completed their application, giving 48 hours’ notice. We would therefore advise that you submit your completed application as soon as possible.
Interview date: Thursday 6 June 2019.
Click Apply to start your application now. This job will be available on Prospects until 24 May 2019
Don't forget to mention Prospects to employers when you contact them.
Closing date: 24 May 2019