An exciting opportunity has become available for an enthusiastic and self motivated physics/engineering/chemistry graduate to lead a project to develop novel systems and processes for the application of ultra-thin plasma assisted chemical vapour deposition (PACVD/PECVD) coatings to samples for scanning electron microscopy, to facilitate entry into new markets and developing innovative technology and chemical precursors. This position is a 24-month fixed-term contract.
Starting: September/October 2018.
What we are looking for
- A commercial aptitude and the ability to understand the needs of internal and external customers and communicate effectively with a range of stakeholders
- An ambition and ability to take ownership of a challenging and impactful technical project
- Have a methodical and considered approach to project planning and management
- Have the aptitude to apply technologies developed through research to a commercial scenario
Knowledge of the following, ideally with practical application through project work, placement and/or work experience:
- Chemical and physical vapour deposition of materials
- Modelling particle deposition
- Characterisation of surface coatings
- Synthesis of chemicals
- Devising modular apparatus
Knowledge and experience of the following is desirable:
Sample preparation, vacuum technology, process development; chemical synthesis, toxicological and environmental safety; extraction of vapour or particulate/contaminated waste; cost benefit analysis; production of pure metal files; and evaluating electron absorbing/conduction characteristics
An interest in microscopy is also desirable.
The successful candidate will have BSc/BEng Hons in physics/engineering/chemistry, along with a higher degree (MPhys/MEng/MChem/PhD) ideally in plasma science/metallurgical science/material science/chemistry, reflecting the need for theoretical knowledge research enquiry and laboratory skills. Candidates without a higher degree who can demonstrate work experience which substitutes for a higher degree will be considered.
Accepted degree subjects
- transport engineering
- aerospace engineering
- chemical engineering
- mechanical engineering
- materials science
- electronic and electrical engineering
How to apply
If you have questions please contact us:
T: 01273 642424
Click Apply to start your application now. This job will be available on Prospects until 01/07/2018
Don't forget to mention Prospects to employers when you contact them.
Closing date: 01/07/2018
Additional job details
|Number of vacancies||One|
|Location||East Sussex, Lewes|
|Additional location information||Regular travel to the University of Brighton|
£26,600 - £30,000
Salary depending on qualifications and experience, plus a £4,000 personal development budget