This project takes the form of a Knowledge Transfer Partnership (KTP) which provides the KTP Associate with extensive practical and formal training, supported by experienced supervisors/mentors from Spectrum Telecommunications, Birmingham City University and Innovate UK.
Spectrum Telecommunications is a value added reseller which provides design, procurement, implementation and lifecycle support for clients in the areas of: unified communications, managed private networks, cloud and host services, enterprise mobility and real time security.
Spectrum has joined forces with Birmingham City University on this KTP project to develop a high-level, network technology based application for the faster, centralised management of low-level network infrastructure configuration and security compliance.
You will be employed by Birmingham City University working under the supervision of Ron Austin, specialised in computer networks research, complemented by Mak Sharma, Academic Lead in Networking and Forensics Security. You will be based at the company, Spectrum Telecommunications, under the supervision of Gary Black, Technical Operations Manager.
The project will include the development of a unique user configurable security architecture. You will be expected to take the lead on customer engagement throughout the project, from needs identification to testing and feedback.
As a KTP Associate, you will have a generous personal development budget of £4,000 in addition to a KTP Management Training Programme aligned with the project. As part of your personal development plan you will be encouraged to work towards professional status for your relevant discipline (i.e. Chartered Engineer) and have the opportunity to enhance your academic qualifications by registering for a higher degree (e.g. MSc/PhD) with Birmingham City University.
The successful candidate will be expected to take ownership of all aspects of the project, keeping all project stakeholders informed of project progress through regular project management meetings.
Main duties and responsibilities
- To carry out initial market needs research and develop a system target requirement specification
- To carry out a technology review and recommend technology selection and technical requirements
- To develop a unique user configurable security architecture using secure network principles
- To validate capability by actively engaging with early adopter customers
- To develop marketing material including presentations, white papers and case studies
- To enhance the company’s secure operating centre
- To prepare and submit documentation for the accreditation of the new network infrastructure
- To design, scope and build system extension based on technical innovations and market opportunities
- To demonstrate new system to potential customers in the UK and overseas
- To evaluate system performance
- To prepare system support documentation
- To embed secure network technology knowledge and expertise within the company
- To be the lead project manager for the KTP/infrastructure programme
What we are looking for
Research experience of network design or specifically software-defined networks, with a programming background would be preferred.
Either a graduate with very good networking or programming interest, preferably a first or 2:1 or a masters postgraduate.
Accepted degree subjects
- computer sciences and IT
Additional job details
- Contract, dates and working times
- Fixed term
How to apply
Your application should include a copy of your CV and a covering letter, and should demonstrate how your experience and skills match those set out in the advertisement. Candidates are advised to remove personal information, including name, to ensure a fair and transparent recruitment process.
For further information please contact Ron Austin
Please note that this role is not capable of sponsorship under Tier 2 of the points based system.
Please note on occasions where we receive a large number of applications, we may close the advert ahead of the publicised closing date. If this does happen, we will contact all candidates via email who have started but not yet completed their application, giving 48 hours’ notice. We would therefore advise that you submit your completed application as soon as possible.
Birmingham City University holds an Athena Swan Bronze Award and promotes the advancement of gender equality through representation, progression and success for all. We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all sections of the community.
Interview date: Wednesday 19 June 2019.
Click Apply to start your application now. This job will be available on Prospects until 3 June 2019
Don't forget to mention Prospects to employers when you contact them.
Closing date: 3 June 2019