Looking for a great start to your career in technology, earning and learning ona professionally accredited, award winning scheme?
We are looking to recruit the technical and business experts of the future through our nationally recognised, award winning Apprenticeship Programmes.
On joining the Leonardo Design Engineering Technician Apprentice programme you will unlock a wealth of learning and development opportunities. We have created a programme that not only increases your technical skills and capability through hands on experience working with specialists in their field but also develops your academic and practical understanding of the diverse world that is Engineering. You will become part of a programme that is managed and tailored to provide a springboard into the world of professional engineering. Leonardo values its people. As a result, we offer comprehensive and competitive benefits packages.
- Perform reliability, maintainability and testability assessment and modelling activities on complex Radar and Electro-optical Systems.
- Develop an understanding of managing a task within a small RM&T work packages across different programmes and technologies within tight budgets and to challenging schedules.
- Work as effective in a multi-discipline engineering team to provide clear and timely input to the design process
- Develop your understanding of the technical standards and integrity of the decisions made within scope of supportability engineering.
- Use analysis techniques and develop the necessary experience to ensure that supportability related design features are identified early and documented in the design process with appropriate actions managed to ensure that products are fit for purpose.
- Actively contribute to engineering teams decisions.
- Identify improvements to process that can be adopted by the Engineering Teams. Key challenges will be with the reduction of reliability, maintainability and testability cost drivers.
- Seek, develop and share good practice and knowledge locally to continuously improve own practices
Our programme is split into three phases:
Years one and two: Through a mixture of work placements and college modules you will develop the key engineering skills and knowledge to work effectively in a high technology manufacturing company, gaining the necessary academic credits for a HNC in Engineering Systems and vocational credits for your SVQ.
Year two: You will be selected through a combination of interview and academic/vocational progress to transfer onto one of our skill specific paths, which include:
- Manufacturing and supply chain
- Mechanical engineering
- Electronic engineering
- Systems engineering
- Software engineering
- Quality engineering
Years 3 and 4: You will further your academic study to HND level. The HND and the work placements will be more tailored towards your area of specialism and the on the job training will enable you to complete the SVQ level 3 evidence logs. Beyond the programme there may be the opportunity for apprentices to further their academic achievements based on their talents and capability and on the needs of the business.
If you are willing to challenge yourself, to stretch your boundaries, to apply your mind to the solution of challenging problems, join one of our accredited apprentice programmes and ensure you give yourself the best foundation for your technical or business career. You will be learning while working alongside the people that create cutting edge technology for a worldwide market.
What do we need from you
You must have (as a minimum) the following qualifications:
- Three Higher Grades (or equivalent):
- Mandatory: mathematics (A-C) and physics (A-C) or engineering science (A–C)
- Plus another Higher subject, preferably a Technological subject e.g. graphic communication, product design, craft an design, tech studies, computing etc. (A-C) and
- Standard Grades (1-3) / National 5: (A-C) English
- Ability to achieve high performance
- Want continuous improvement
- Develop customer focus
- Able to work together
- Demonstrate self awareness and confidence
- A passion for technical analysis, judgement and problem solving
- Have a minimum of five years permanent residency in the UK
- Successfully complete SC security clearance
What’s in it for you?
Leonardo values their people and we reward commitment with a competitive remuneration and flexible benefits package including:
- Competitive starting salary
- Annual incremental pay increases
- Three performance related pay reviews in the two years following your apprenticeship
- 33 days holiday and flexible working arrangements
- Pension scheme (contributory)
What can I expect from my working environment?
You will be working within world class facilities. Dependent on your role, you may be working in an office or lab environment or a combination of both. There may also be opportunities to travel between the different sites and to meet with customers and suppliers.
What are you waiting for?
A career in the defence industry rewards over 162,000 people and generates a £22billion turnover. Come and be a part of a community and work with some of the most talented engineers in the UK on some of the most exciting projects around.
Don’t delay – these roles attract high competition so apply now.
Leonardo is an international leader in electronic and information technologies for defence systems, aerospace, data, infrastructures, land security and protection and sustainable ’smart’ solutions. We are globally renowned and are continually expanding, offering exciting opportunities to talented people who want to work at the forefront of our technology. Across our technical, engineering and business functions you can look forward to working with highly skilled professionals that are passionate about their work.
In delivering against these challenges, people are our greatest asset and as a Leonardo Apprentice you will broaden your horizons to a diverse range of possibilities. You will be learning while working alongside design, development, manufacturing, test and delivery and business support teams to create this cutting edge technology for a worldwide market.
How to apply
Closing date: 28/02/2018
This job listing will no longer be available on Prospects from 28/02/2018