Leonardo – Engineering the Future
Do you want to work on real-time projects alongside leading scientists and engineers within a globally renowned company?
Leonardo has an award winning Graduate Programme that develops promising young graduates into engineers and business professionals of the future.
The successful candidate will be required to conduct specialist optical engineering activities in support of the development and production of high quality military electro-optical products.
The job demands a mastery of optical engineering and design tools as well as strong laboratory skills required for the characterisation and measurement of various optical phenomena. The successful candidate will be involved in aspects of lens design, optical system design, vendor liaison, test definition and production support across a range of technologies including thermal imaging, lasers, rangefinders and optically stabilised systems.
The candidate should have a first degree in physics or a related degree and demonstrate a strong aptitude and interest in optical or photonic technologies. A masters or PhD in a related field is of benefit.
- Generation of appropriate technical solutions to optical problems
- Modelling of optical systems using commercial and in-house tools
- Creation and review of detailed optical drawings, product and test specifications,
- Product Test and Verification including the development of test solutions
- Problem solving to support product development and manufacturing
- Technical liaison with material vendors
Our two year Graduate Programme
On joining the Leonardo graduate programme, you will unlock a wealth of development opportunities and further learning. You will receive mentoring, coaching and support to achieve your personal goals and accreditation from your professional body.
We have created a programme across our UK sites that value those who continuously ask questions and look to resolve problems through creative and innovative thinking. We will demand a high degree of customer focus and work performance from you in order to meet our operational challenges.
What’s in it for me?
Leonardo values their people and we reward commitment with a competitive remuneration and flexible benefits package including:
- Competitive starting salary and welcome bonus
- Accommodation allowance (subject to eligibility) and three performance related pay reviews within the two years
- 33 days holiday and flexible working arrangements
- Contributory pension scheme
What can I expect from my working environment?
You will be working within world class facilities regardless of which site you are based. Dependent on your role, you may be working in an office or lab environment or a combination of both. There may also be opportunities to travel between different sites and to meet with customers and suppliers. Occasionally you may also travel abroad.
What are you waiting for?
A career in the defence industry rewards over 162,000 people and generates a £22 billion turnover. Come and be a part of a community and work with some of the most talented engineers in the UK on some of the most exciting projects around.
Don’t delay – these roles attract high competition so apply now to avoid disappointment. Roles will be closed as soon as they are offered.
Leonardo is an international leader in electronic and information technologies for defence systems, aerospace, data, infrastructures, land security and protection and sustainable ’smart’ solutions. We are globally renowned and are continually expanding, offering exciting opportunities to talented graduates who want to work at the forefront of our technology. With the majority of our engineers having chartered status, you can look forward to working with highly skilled professionals that are passionate about their work.
- You must be able to satisfy the necessary security clearance for the role applied for and meet a minimum of five years permanent residency in the UK.
Qualifications and experience requirements
- All our roles require predicted minimum of an upper second class honours degree in a relevant discipline, in particular B. Sc. in Physics or Optoelectronics (M.Sc in Applied Optics or relevant PhD (desirable).
- Good understanding of the fundamentals of optics
- Appreciation of laser physics (desirable)
- Interest and enthusiasm for optical/photonic technologies
- Effective communicator and good team player
Accepted degree subjects
How to apply
Closing date: 28/02/2018
This job listing will no longer be available on Prospects from 28/02/2018