Leonardo – engineering the future
Do you want to work on real-time projects alongside leading scientists and engineers within a globally renowned company?
Leonardo has an award winning Graduate Programme that develops promising young graduates into engineers and business professionals of the future.
The role will be based at the Leonardo MW site in Southampton and will be part of the Defence Communications Systems business within our Land and Sea domains. It will involve using technical expertise to solve problems, to generate ideas and to be pro-active within a team.
The successful candidate will be involved in system functional design under the direction of a more senior team member. As a Systems Engineer you will have the opportunity to work within different stages of the engineering lifecycle, from requirements capture and functional modelling, through systems design and sub systems integration, to test and installation.
You will work within an Integrated Product Team (IPT) and be expected to liaise effectively with the various other departments within the IPT
- To develop System Engineering knowledge, with a line report to the Systems Engineering Team Leader with the intent to reach the level of Chartered Engineer (if not already at that level)
- To work with Engineering Authorities and Engineering Managers, and play a key role in the following activities on contracts or bids:
- Systems Engineering
- Specification & Documentation
- Authoring specifications from requirement documents and compiling supporting documentation and records in the design life cycle.
- Analysing customer requirements and forming compliancy against our standard and future products design approval and verification
- Compiling design-proving test specifications and test plans.
- Using internal test facilities and external test houses to prove product designs.
- Performing acceptance tests
- Peer Reviewing
- Reviewing engineering designs using the company verification review process
Our two year Graduate Programme
On joining the Leonardo graduate programme, you will unlock a wealth of development opportunities and further learning. You will receive mentoring, coaching and support to achieve your personal goals and accreditation from your professional body.
We have created a programme across our UK sites that value those who continuously ask questions and look to resolve problems through creative and innovative thinking. We will demand a high degree of customer focus and work performance from you in order to meet our operational challenges.
What’s in it for me?
Leonardo values their people and we reward commitment with a competitive remuneration and flexible benefits package including:
- Competitive starting salary and welcome bonus
- Accommodation allowance (subject to eligibility) and three performance related pay reviews within the two years
- 33 days holiday and flexible working arrangements
- Contributory pension scheme
What can I expect from my working environment?
You will be working within world class facilities regardless of which site you are based. Dependent on your role, you may be working in an office or lab environment or a combination of both. There may also be opportunities to travel between different sites and to meet with customers and suppliers. Occasionally you may also travel abroad.
What are you waiting for?
A career in the defence industry rewards over 162,000 people and generates a £22 billion turnover. Come and be a part of a community and work with some of the most talented engineers in the UK on some of the most exciting projects around.
Don’t delay – these roles attract high competition so apply now to avoid disappointment. Roles will be closed as soon as they are offered.
Leonardo is an international leader in electronic and information technologies for defence systems, aerospace, data, infrastructures, land security and protection and sustainable ’smart’ solutions. We are globally renowned and are continually expanding, offering exciting opportunities to talented graduates who want to work at the forefront of our technology. With the majority of our engineers having chartered status, you can look forward to working with highly skilled professionals that are passionate about their work.
- An attention to detail with strong analytical and fault finding skills
- An ability to apply a wider systems approach to analysis and make connections
- A creative ability to consider more than one candidate solution to any problem
- An ability to manage time well for themselves and for others whilst being aware of project timescales
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
- An organised approach to facts – being a meticulous and thorough manager of information
- A willingness to travel both within the UK and overseas for short periods
- You must be able to satisfy the necessary security clearance for the role applied for and meet a minimum of five years permanent residency in the UK
- The role demands high levels of interpersonal skills as communication with a wide range of other engineering disciplines is essential to the success of the system engineering activity on any programme
Qualifications and experience requirements
All our roles require predicted minimum of an upper second class honours degree in a relevant discipline i.e. engineering, physics and mathematics.
Accepted degree subjects
physics · mathematics · electronic and electrical engineering
How to apply
Closing date: 31/03/2018
This job listing will no longer be available on Prospects from 31/03/2018