Leonardo – Engineering the Future
Do you want to work on real-time projects alongside leading scientists and engineers within a globally renowned company?
Leonardo’s Industrial Placement Programme offers you a paid opportunity to develop your current skillset in an innovative and practical environment that can lead to a place on our award winning Graduate Development programme.
- The Leonardo Luton site is home to the Electronic Warfare (EW) and Major Air Programs (MAP) Lines of Business (LoB), both part of the Airborne and Space Systems Division. The division develops and produces a wide range of products and solutions for both manned and unmanned aircraft platforms, including integrated mission systems, airborne radars and sensors, protection and countermeasure systems, on-board avionics, and simulation systems.
- Your role as a Leonardo Industrial Placement Software Engineer will be to support the design and development of our world leading Electronic Warfare products under the guidance of experienced Software Engineering leads. Our software Engineers develop software requirements into real world solutions by developing ‘models’ and/or specifications into code which executes on real-time embedded hardware or PC based targets. Models are developed using MATLAB/Simulink and Code is developed in C/C++ and C#.
- You will be introduced to state-of-the-art methods, technology and tools and have the opportunity to explore all aspects of the development lifecycle, including requirements analysis, design, implementation, test, acceptance and product support.
- You will interface with customers (internal and external) on many factors within the lifecycle and liaise closely with Engineers from all other disciplines including Systems, Electronics and Design Integrity.
- As innovation is key to the success of our business you will be challenged to contribute new ideas as we look to develop our next generation products and provide innovative customer solutions.
- Working to timescales
- Work as a contributory engineering team member
- Undertake day-to-day engineering activities with some guidance and support
- Ask for support where appropriate and learn from more experienced team members
- Contribute to engineering team decisions, and understand why such decisions are made and their relationship to project success criteria
- To practice the skills required to become a professional Software Engineer
- Explore new experiences and opportunities to learn within the engineering environment
- Seek and share good practice and knowledge locally to continuously improve own practices
The six month – one year Industrial Placement Graduate Programme
We have created a programme across our UK sites that not only increase your technical skills but give you the opportunity to work on meaningful real life projects alongside experienced engineers and graduates across our business. You will receive coaching and support to achieve your personal goals and work in multidisciplinary teams to gain as much experience across the product lifecycle from your time in industry, as possible. Our ultimate aim is to see you through your undergrad years and hopefully offer you a place on our 2 year Graduate Development programme at an appropriate time.
We value those who continuously ask questions and look to resolve problems through creative and innovative thinking. We will demand a high degree of customer focus and work performance from you in order to meet our operational challenges.
What’s in it for me?
Leonardo values their people and we reward commitment with a competitive remuneration and flexible benefits package including:
- Competitive salary and accommodation allowance (subject to eligibility)
- 33 days holiday and flexible working arrangements
- Contributory pension scheme
- Private healthcare
What can I expect from my working environment?
You will be working within world class facilities regardless of which site you are based. Dependent on your role, you may be working in an office or lab environment or a combination of both. There may also be opportunities to travel between different sites and to meet with customers and suppliers. Occasionally you may also travel abroad.
What are you waiting for?
A career in the defence industry rewards over 162,000 people and generates a £22billion turnover. Come and be a part of a community and work with some of the most talented engineers in the UK on some of the most exciting projects around.
Don’t delay – these roles attract high competition so apply now to avoid disappointment. Roles will be closed as soon as they are offered.
Leonardo is an international leader in electronic and information technologies for defence systems, aerospace, data, infrastructures, land security and protection and sustainable ’smart’ solutions. We are globally renowned and are continually expanding, offering exciting opportunities to talented graduates who want to work at the forefront of our technology. With the majority of our engineers having chartered status, you can look forward to working with highly skilled professionals that are passionate about their work.
- You must be able to obtain SC security clearance (if necessary) and have a minimum of five years permanent residency in the UK.
- Candidate must be self-motivated and willing to take on new challenges
- Strong communication skills are essential. The ability to develop good working relationships with stakeholders
Qualifications and experience requirements
- You must be working towards a degree in software engineering, or other subject (e.g. science, mathematics) relevant to high tech development.
Accepted degree subjects
How to apply
Closing date: 28/02/2018
This job listing will no longer be available on Prospects from 28/02/2018