Your role as a Leonardo Undergraduate Mechanical Summer Placement Engineer will be to support the design and development of our world leading radar and electro-optic products under the guidance of experienced mechanical tam leads. You will be introduced to utilising state-of-the-art methods, technology and tools to explore all aspects of the development lifecycle, which may include requirements analysis, design, implementation, test, build and product support. You will interface with customers (internal and external) on many factors within the design and liaise closely with Engineers from other disciplines, particularly Systems and Electronics.
Mechanical Engineering is a fundamental element of all our products and as such Mechanical Engineering provides the support and environment necessary for learning and career development.
Key Responsibility Areas
This is dependent upon the product area and product lifecycle stage that the undergraduate is allocated. The work may include the responsibilities of conducting appropriate research, analysis and testing of equipment/designs to develop the equipment in meeting customer needs.
Typically the undergraduate will be expected to:
- Continue professional development throughout their career by formal training, learning “on the job” and keeping up to date with the latest developments which may aid performance.
- To learn the skills required to help become a professional Mechanical Engineer.
- Working to timescales
- Work as a contributory engineering team member
- Undertake day-to-day engineering activities with guidance and support
- Ask for help where appropriate and learn from more experienced team members
- Contribute to engineering team decisions, and understand why such decisions are made and their relationship to project success criteria
- Explore new experiences and opportunities to learn within the engineering environment.
- Seek and share good practice and knowledge locally to continuously improve own practices.
This is an office based role using display screen equipment. Working full time hours which can often be in a demanding environment. Working to tight deadlines either on a regular or adhoc basis will be required.
Leonardo is an international leader in electronic and information technologies for defence systems, aerospace, data, infrastructures, land security and protection and sustainable ’smart’ solutions. We are globally renowned and are continually expanding, offering exciting opportunities to talented graduates who want to work at the forefront of our technology. With the majority of our engineers having chartered status, you can look forward to working with highly skilled professionals that are passionate about their work.
You will possess the following personal attributes:
- Self-motivated and willing to take on new challenges
- Good communications skills (written and oral) are essential
- The ability to develop good working relationships with stakeholders
- Results orientated
Qualifications and experience requirements
- Ideally you be predicted to obtain a minimum of an IMechE accredited upper second class masters honours degree in a relevant discipline.
Accepted degree subjects
How to apply
Closing date: 28/02/2018
This job listing will no longer be available on Prospects from 28/02/2018