In Consulting, you will join a growing team of 300 relationship driven, strategic thinkers who take pride in the positive impact they can have on society whilst advising the boardrooms of UK and International clients across all sectors. Our Consulting teams support clients in solving business critical, complex problems through a broad range of services including risk assurance, technology advisory, business transformation, regulatory consulting and actuarial support. Our expertise ranges from financial services and insurance to retail, government and education. In a rapidly changing business world, we help clients overcome the challenges that they face today and prepare for whatever the future may hold.
You will the opportunity to work across a wide range of sectors within the risk assurance team:
- Financial Services: Our team are one of the largest dedicated providers of Risk Assurance services to the financial sector, we work with many banks, insurance and asset management companies including FTSE, SEC, privately owned, as well as over 60% of the Lloyd’s market.
- Public Services: Our team provide distinctive audit and advisory services across six sectors – local government, central government, health and social care, housing and charities.
- Industry & Services: Our clients are predominately private sector and range in size from large and listed multinational organisations, to small owner-managed businesses across multiple sectors throughout the UK and overseas.
The role of a Risk Assurance Trainee is to conduct an independent review of the client’s operations, providing recommendations that are proportional and in line with industry best practice. As a Risk Assurance Trainee, your time would usually be split between working at client premises, working in the office and studying for your professional exams. However due to the current pandemic situation Mazars continues to work remotely only visiting the office and client sites on a restricted basis.
During your first year you will:
- Learn how to undertake fieldwork using a range of tools and methods in order to review and provide recommendations on the client’s business operations;
- Performing internal audit fieldwork at client sites, testing and reviewing exposure to risk and the effectiveness of the controls in place to mitigate risks;
- Develop a thorough understanding of the nature of the clients’ business, industry best practice, and applicable regulations; and
- Be able to obtain relevant information from clients whilst building effective rapport with clients’ staff.
During your second year you will:
- Be able to take ownership for a whole client review;
- Begin providing your own solutions and ideas to client scenarios;
- Perform more challenging technical and financial audits, executing standalone audits under the guidance of a Manager;
- Self-review your own-work, ensuring minimal review points are raised by managers; and
- Be able to aid junior team members.
In your final year you will be expected to be responsible for planning internal audit work programmes and delivery of fieldwork, including participating in closing meetings with management. In addition, it is expected that a third year trainee will provide on the job advice, training and supervision of junior staff. This will include acting as a point of contact for both management and clients, ensuring that the work is completed within the stated deadlines.
We will fund your study towards the ACA qualification.
You will receive a full study package to ensure that you successfully complete your professional qualification. This includes time off to study, attend college and complete online courses. Your professional qualification is only part of the story at Mazars; we support all of our trainees with a blended approach to training and development including classroom study, 1:1 coaching, and soft skills training.
You will be supported by a mentor and an appraising manager to keep your career and aspirations on track.
What we are looking for
- Interpersonal skills; the ability to build client relationships with a foundation of trust and responsibility.
- Analytical skills; the ability to think critically, research and solve problems.
- Attention to detail and strong time-management skills.
- Commitment to self-development & learning.
- Affinity with our values; in particular, respect for individuals, diversity and integrity.
Strong academic performance is important so we know that you’re ready to take your professional exams. However, we understand things don’t always go to plan – so if you don’t meet our minimum requirements, please let us know if you have any exceptional achievements or extenuating circumstances which affected your results. We also consider your achievements in the context of your socio-economic background, so encourage you to submit your contextual information.
- 2.1 or above in any degree discipline
- Minimum of 112 UCAS points. This is based on the new 2017 UCAS Tariff. You can calculate your UCAS points here.
- Grade B or above in GCSE English Language and Maths.
Accepted degree subjects
Additional job details
- Competitive salary
How to apply
Please search and apply by filtering career type to early careers and filtering the office to your chosen location.
Click Apply to start your application now. This job will be available on Prospects until 31 March 2021
Don't forget to mention Prospects to employers when you contact them.
Closing date: 31 March 2021