As a Tax Trainee you will be supporting the tax team with the preparation of high quality tax compliance and advisory services.
Our clients range from individuals and owner managed businesses to large corporates. Our clients operate in a broad range of sectors, for example, retail, media, financial services, infrastructure, real estate and many more.
Mazars offers a range of tax services to meet the needs of our clients, including: corporate tax, international tax, personal tax, partnership tax, trusts and estates, expatriate tax, indirect tax (VAT), employment tax, share schemes and tax investigations.
When you join the tax team you will be asked for your preference as to which of the above specific teams you would like to be assigned to (location dependent) and we will endeavour to accommodate your request. Additionally, should you have a desire to gain experience in one of the other areas, there is the option to second to other teams and work across the tax practice.
Your time will be split between meeting clients, working in the office and studying for your professional exams.
As Tax Trainee, your typical daily duties will include:
- Preparing tax returns and calculations for companies or individuals as part of the yearly tax compliance process
- Liaising with HMRC on behalf of our clients
- Assisting seniors and managers with research, reports and other client deliverables for advisory projects
- Liaising with the wider Mazars team, for example, the audit team, to collect information on our clients for the tax compliance services or to determine other services we can provide to our clients
- Attending in-house technical training sessions
In the second and third years of your training contract your responsibilities will evolve to include:
- Becoming more involved with the day-to-day interactions with our clients, for example attending meetings and the client’s site to discuss the company’s/individuals tax affairs
- Providing support and training to the new first year trainees in the team
- Beginning to take an active lead on our compliance clients’ tax affairs
- Being responsible for the delivery of more complex advisory and transactional pieces of work which will utilise your increasing knowledge throughout the programme
Training Contract and Study Support
We will fund for you to study towards the ACA/CTA qualification.
You will receive a full study package and time off to study and attend college. Your professional qualification is only part of the story; we support all of our trainees with a blended approach to training and development including classroom study, one-one coaching, and skills training to enable you to progress to management and leadership positions.
We also operate a number of in-house training courses which will give you the technical insight to keep up with changes in legislation and case law, both in the UK and worldwide.
You will be given a mentor and an appraising manager to keep your career and aspirations on track.
At Mazars we don’t have a “one size fits all” approach to benefits. We want you to be able to choose benefits that you want, rather than have all benefits chosen for you.
“my” is a scheme that you manage through a personalised online system. Benefits are organised into five categories: my family, my finance & security, my leisure & lifestyle, my health & wellbeing and my charitable giving.
We are an internationally integrated, transparent and independent organisation specialising in audit, tax, and advisory services. Mazars has a global presence in 77 countries with over 17,000 professionals. In the UK, we operate from 20 offices with over 1,600 professionals.
The more we grow as individuals; the more Mazars grows.
Mazars is all about people – we believe that each individual makes a difference to the Mazars culture. As an international firm with strong European roots, we are a melting pot of different cultures and disciplines. Diversity is one of our main strengths.
Our firm has thrived because of the quality of our individuals – the work we do makes a long-term difference to our clients’ successes and goals. With a global network of offices, we continue to encourage our people to express themselves openly – to add their individual talents and opinions to the Mazars mosaic.
We all work within a culture of high support and high challenge at Mazars. We are not afraid to take on new and greater responsibilities. But we do this through encouragement – not pressure and competition.
We are looking for people who bring something special to the firm and who also have some distinctive qualities. We want driven people who think creatively about their work, embrace challenges and can resolve complex problems.
- Demonstrates strong analytical and research skills
- Takes ownership of assigned tasks and adopts a pro-active approach
- Ability to organise and prioritise workload
- Produces accurate and timely work
- Participates in meetings, providing information and ideas with clarity and persuasiveness
- Ability to build relationships
- Respects differences in people and values diversity of ideas
- Applies active listening skills – asks questions when necessary but makes basic assumptions when appropriate
- Actively seeks to enhance own expertise and knowledge
- Demonstrates drive and commitment to self-development
- Professional approach to work and clients i.e. professional appearance, respect for individuals, and ethical conduct
Qualifications and experience requirements
- 2:1 or above in any degree discipline
- Minimum of 280 UCAS points (to have achieved in the same academic year, from your best three A levels and excluding general studies).
- Grade B or above in GCSE English language and maths.
If there were extenuating/exceptional circumstances that affected your result(s), please tell us in your application form so we can consider whether we take them into account.
Accepted degree subjects
Contract and working hours
Permanent · Full-time
How to apply
Number of vacancies: 20
Closing date: 06/03/2017
This job listing will no longer be available on Prospects from 06/03/2017