At Mazars we'll help you build on your expertise, experience, and ambition to develop a rewarding and successful career. We want you to be yourself, to bring your ideas and creativity and to feel inspired as part of our Mazars Private Client Team.
Mazars Private Client provides impartial, tailored tax advice, financial planning and investment management to individuals, entrepreneurs, business owner-managers and trustees - private and charitable. We offer a unique service to our clients where we can jointly meet all their needs with one integrated service proposition with a range of experts who come together to jointly look after our clients.
We give advice in all areas of taxation, helping our clients to navigate the complexities of tax codes, often in multiple jurisdictions, and to help them ensure they are fulfilling all their obligations and paying the correct amount of tax. In this way we help them to manage an area of significant financial and reputational risk and to make properly informed decisions about their tax position. We also help clients resolve any disputes they have with the tax authorities as swiftly as possible.
We cover every aspect of taxation for clients, whether on investments, real estate, pensions, employment reward, business profit extraction and exit as well as movements of individuals from one country to another, international transactions or income from UK and offshore trust and equivalent structures.
We are now operating a hybrid working model, so as a trainee you will split your time between working from home, visiting the office, client sites when required or studying for your professional exams. There may also be travel to other Mazars offices in the UK or overseas (government guidelines will be followed).
As a Trainee Tax Adviser you will be supported on a structured development program, in order to be able to work to meet the full needs of our clients. You work with your colleagues in the Financial Planning and Privately Owned Business teams to give a full private client experience and ensure all our clients' tax and financial planning needs are met.
You will be provided an opportunity to work with colleagues in different tax disciplines in your first two years, including tax compliance and tax advisory including some experience with financial planning, resulting in a broad understanding of the services we can offer our Private Clients.
You'll ensure a client meets all their tax obligations by preparing and submitting tax returns and other necessary forms. You will also review clients' business structures and personal financial arrangements to deliver solutions for their financial goals and business needs. You'll get vital client facing experience of building ongoing relationships with clients and develop the ability to identify all their tax and financial planning goals.
During your first year you will
- Learn how to use tax software and systems to prepare a income and capital gains tax computations and returns for individuals, trusts and estates.
- Develop a thorough understanding of income streams and the nature of the clients' financial affairs to complete the tax computation to the best of your ability.
- Be able to obtain relevant information from other departments and clients whilst building good communication with both.
- Develop a thorough understanding of the tax legislation and the nature of the clients' personal financial circumstances.
If you are offered a permanent role to return at the end of your placement, you will re-join as a second year after completing your degree. The rest of your training is outlined below.
By the end of your final year you will
- Work on a range of different advisory engagements across UK tax covering a range of technical areas
- Develop a strong technical knowledge of the UK tax legislation, specifically across personal taxes
- Understand the way in which different investment entities operate across the UK and overseas, as well as the different challenges facing our private client base in terms of managing tax risk, estate/succession planning and the implications of being internationally mobile
- Work directly with our clients and begin developing relationships with those clients to deliver on repeat engagements
- Begin to manage advisory engagements, including planning, budgeting and project managing different service lines
- Develop a strong understanding of our control and risk management procedures
We will fund your study towards the combined ATT/CTA qualification with a view to becoming a Chartered Tax Adviser. In addition you'll be able to stretch your knowledge of understanding via other private client qualifications through the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP) and Financial Planning and Investment Management.
You will receive a full study package to ensure that you successfully complete your professional qualification. This includes time off to study, attend college and complete online courses. Your professional qualification is only part of the story at Mazars; we support all our trainees with a blended approach to training and development including classroom study, 1:1 coaching, and soft skills training.
You will be supported by an appraising manager to keep your career and aspirations on track. You will also be allocated a buddy, who will support you to settle into the team and navigate your first year at Mazars.
What we are looking for
- Interpersonal skills: the ability to build relationships with a foundation of trust and responsibility.
- Analytical skills: the ability to think critically, research and solve problems.
- Attention to detail and strong time-management skills.
- Commitment to self-development & learning.
- Affinity with our values; in particular, respect for individuals, diversity, and integrity.
Strong academic performance is important; however, we understand that things don't always go to plan. Our recruitment process looks at your whole self – academic achievements as well as other experiences in which you have grown and developed. We balance your academic results alongside the aptitude assessment within our recruitment process to ensure that you will be successful in your role with us.
Accepted degree subjects
Additional job details
- Competitive salary
- Contract, dates and working times
- Fixed term
How to apply
Click Apply to start your application now. This job will be available on Prospects until 31 March 2023
Don't forget to mention Prospects to employers when you contact them.
Closing date: 31 March 2023