Joining the aerodynamics and propulsion department will give you the opportunity to work alongside a team of highly experienced engineers, at the forefront of missile aerodynamics. This vacancy presents a rare opportunity to be actively involved in high speed aerodynamics.
Throughout the Early Careers Programme (ECP) you will undertake several placements to ensure you get exposure to the various aspects of the department. The program is tailored to focus on your personal and professional development, with MBDA investing heavily into its graduates.
You will have the opportunity to be actively involved in designing the missiles of the future, learning to use cutting edge aerodynamic techniques with guidance and support from our team of aerodynamicists.
What will you be doing?
The primary role of the department is aerodynamic design, characterisation and assessment of missile airframes. The department is also responsible for the design and development of the propulsion sub-systems including solid rocket and air-breathing technologies. The tools used to achieve this vary from bespoke in-house codes, commercial computational fluid dynamics software, through to the use of a number of external wind tunnel testing facilities.
You will use a suite of performance analysis tools developed within the department in order to support missile integration onto land, naval and air platforms, including carrying out air-intake design, optimising missile aerodynamic performance and supporting propulsion sub-system integration.
You will have the opportunity to apply these tools at different stages of missile development, from concept to design and manufacture and the department actively encourages you to gain exposure to as many stages of development as possible throughout your development programme.
There may also be opportunities to work on the design and qualification of solid rocket motors through interaction with our propulsion subsystem suppliers, as well as being involved in internal research and development into novel missile propulsion technologies.
What are the benefits for you?
- You will be working on the cutting edge of missile aerodynamics and propulsion, as part of a highly skilled team of specialist engineers, passionate about what they do.
- You will gain exposure to working with a huge variety of flow regimes, from low subsonic to high supersonic, as well as the development of a large number of propulsion systems. These are both aspects which are rarely seen in the civil aerospace sector.
- Whilst part of ECP you will participate in a number of personal and professional development courses run specifically for graduates. You will also have access to a vast number of company-lead internal technical courses which cover all aspects of missile design.
- There will be the potential for you to be involved in experimental testing at world-class external wind tunnel facilities.
- Given that MBDA is a multinational company with offices across Europe, there will be opportunities to travel both within the UK and abroad.
What’s great about joining the team?
- You will be joining a team of approximately thirty engineers who form a world class weapon aerodynamic design capability.
- This team have a broad range of multi-disciplinary skills and are involved in a wide range of activities, providing opportunities for working on and influencing the entire MBDA UK portfolio from the initial research and concept phase, through maturation and development, and into in-service support.
- Access to a wide range of training and development opportunities which are open to all team members to broaden their skills and enhance their personal development.
What would you get?
Competitive joining bonus and salaries, flexible working, paid overtime, a comprehensive pension scheme, employee funded voluntary private healthcare, sporting activities, fantastic site facilities, bonus schemes (subject to level) and superb learning and development opportunities.
Why you should come and work at MBDA?
- MBDA, a world leader in missiles and missile systems, is a multi-national group with over 10,000 employees on industrial facilities in France, Germany, Italy, the United Kingdom and a presence in the United States
- With some of the most sophisticated technology in defence, MBDA offers a wide range of advanced weapon systems for maritime Superiority, Air Dominance, Ground Based Air Defence and Battlefield Engagement
- We work with over 90 armed forces, successfully integrating our systems onto multiple platforms.
- Has a technology pedigree that allows innovative and responsive products to be created year upon year
- Our success is based on the dedication of our people and we strive to offer each and every employee an enjoyable, challenging and rewarding career
- MBDA is ranked 12th in the Sunday Times Top 30 Best Big Companies to Work For, demonstrating successful growth and high levels of employee retention.
- Our work is complex, challenging and innovative. It takes a range of professionals across the full engineering and commercial spectrum to carry it out. Whatever field our people specialise in, they all share the same mind-set: a drive to make things work better and to redefine the established standards
- To have a passion for aerodynamics and propulsion.
- A proactive attitude, willingness to learn new skills, and the ability to apply newly gained knowledge quickly to overcome problems encountered.
- The ability to clearly communicate and present ideas including preparing technical presentations and reports.
- To be capable of working well within a team and individually
- Please note that in order to apply for MBDA UK opportunities you will need to be eligible for SC (Secret Level) UK Security Clearance.
Qualifications and experience requirements
- A first or second class honours degree in an aerospace engineering or other related subject.
Accepted degree subjects
How to apply
Closing date: 30/11/2017
This job listing will no longer be available on Prospects from 30/11/2017