What’s the opportunity?
Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC) addresses the unintentional generation, propagation and reception of electromagnetic energy which may cause unwanted effects in equipment. MBDA evaluate their products performance through test, analysis and/or assessment, to the effects of the products intended electromagnetic environment. This role will allow you to be involved in an essential part of the process that qualifies MBDA products, and will enable you to gain skill and knowledge in EMC Engineering.
What will you be doing?
You will be hands-on testing MBDA’s missiles, subsystems and weapons systems in the UKAS accredited test facility which will build your EMC knowledge. Much of the initial training will involve working with our competent EMC engineers so that you can progress towards conducting tests independently. The department may be undertaking development work at the time of your placement that you could be involved with; this has ranged from microcontroller electronics (hardware/software), OPSENS development and even antenna design.
The role will involve
- Undertaking essential training to enable the safe use of equipment within the facility.
- Hands-on experience of trials performed in the EMC test facility which may include: radiated and conducted emissions; radiated and conducted susceptibility; electrostatic discharge, nuclear EMP, shielding effectiveness, safety measurements; creating a detailed log book to assist with learning and chartership opportunities.
- Writing EMC documentation to support projects.
- Opportunities to get involved in other research projects within the EMC UK/Fr function.
- Providing end of placements presentations.
What are the benefits to you?
- Work in a technically challenging and thought provoking function.
- Work amongst experienced test and systems EMC engineers.
- Specific formal and informal training that will aid your personal development.
- Hands-on experience with real hardware.
- Work on a range of products across all MBDA projects, which could include missiles and weapon systems.
What’s great about joining this team?
You will be working in a team of friendly EMC engineers, with a great depth and breadth of expertise that puts you in a rich learning environment. The team are keen to improve the facility and for you to bring fresh ideas. All of the EMC engineers are extremely supportive and willing to help you learn and progress in your development.
- You will have access to the full breadth of training courses and facilities that MBDA offers. For the SD&V function some relevant courses you may take part in include DOORS Training, MBSE Training and Writing Requirements.
- You will also benefit from training and support provided by experienced engineers within the department and project teams.
- MBDA support continual professional development such as engineering Chartership through multiple accrediting organisations.
What you would get
Starting salary of £26,250 with two pay reviews per year during the first two years,joining bonus of £2,000 if you have a Bachelors or £2,500 if you have a Masters. Flexible working hours, paid overtime, a comprehensive pension scheme, employee funded voluntary private healthcare, sporting activities, fantastic site facilities, annual company bonus schemes and superb learning and development opportunities.
What we are looking for
- An enthusiastic and highly motivated graduate who will wish to participate in and learn about EMC activities.
- Able to actively communicate with other team members and show a willingness to learn through practical work in the test facilities.
- Good technical report writing skills.
- Knowledge of Labview or MPLAB is desirable.
Please note that in order to apply for MBDA UK opportunities you will need to be eligible forSC (Secret Level) UK Security Clearance.
Degree qualified (minimum 2.2) in EMC / electrical / electronics engineering, applied physics, aerospace engineering or a related discipline.
Accepted degree subjects
How to apply
Click Apply to start your application now. This job will be available on Prospects until 28/02/2019
Don't forget to mention Prospects to employers when you contact them.
Closing date: Continuous recruitment
Additional job details