What’s the opportunity?
Environmental Engineering & Facilities (EE&F) provide MBDA with the ability to simulate real world mechanical and climatic environments (vibration, shock, temperature, etc.). Our facilities and expertise allow us as a company to design, develop and test our products to ensure they work as required and remain safe in service.
The work conducted spans both practical and theoretical aspects, and will allow you to get hands-on with our weapon systems and products, while creating and testing against environmental requirements at all stages of a product development cycle.
What will you be doing?
You will get the chance to experience all the different factions of our department, including project planning, conducting shock and vibration tests in our lab, mechanical stress testing and data gathering trials and analysis.
- Be given responsibility for delivering tasks of real substance from the start.
- Opportunity to attend off-site firings and data gathering trials.
- Analyse and interpret data from flight and firing trials, or from laboratory tests.
- Write technical engineering documents, present findings and offer design aid to other teams within the company.
- Influence the design of our products by defining environmental requirements in line with our customer’s needs and expectations.
What are the benefits for you?
- Work in a technically challenging and fluid working environment.
- Have the chance to work towards Chartership through MBDA’s accredited schemes with institutions such as IMechE, RAeS and IET. You will be allocated a Chartered mentor to aid you throughout this process.
- Gain experience and an appreciation of good practice in requirements specification, defining and conducting tests, and detailed data analysis.
- Develop practical skills in project management, mechanical and climatic testing and data analysis
- Learn about how a whole weapon system is developed from an environmental perspective, through risk reduction, design assessment and ultimate qualification testing for customer acceptance and in service use.
- Have a hands-on experience with the physical hardware, not just designs and drawings, e.g. full missiles, subsystems and weapon system equipment.
- Have the opportunity to travel nationally or internationally, either for trials or to work with our French and Italian colleagues.
- Due to the environmental department’s unique position within the company, you will also learn how projects are run from a systems perspective.
- Work on a range of products in all stages of development, as well as on weapon systems currently in service.
What’s great about joining this team?
- Due to the small team, you will be given responsibility for delivering tasks of real substance from early in the programme.
- There is a large amount of combined knowledge held by members of the department that is ready to be shared, both from recent graduates and those with years of experience.
- You will have the opportunity learn about what it takes to operate as a UKAS accredited laboratory.
- You will be involved with a wide range of technically demanding test procedures, both mechanical and climatic.
- We’re also a social bunch! There are regular social events throughout the year, in addition to departmental sports teams participating in various company events.
- You will have access to the full breadth of training courses and facilities that MBDA offers. For the SD&V function some relevant courses you may take part in include DOORS Training, MBSE Training and Writing Requirements.
- You will also benefit from training and support provided by experienced engineers within the department and project teams.
- MBDA support continual professional development such as engineering Chartership through multiple accrediting organisations.
What you would get
Starting salary of £26,250 with two pay reviews per year during the first two years,joining bonus of £2,000 if you have a Bachelors or £2,500 if you have a Masters. Flexible working hours, paid overtime, a comprehensive pension scheme, employee funded voluntary private healthcare, sporting activities, fantastic site facilities, annual company bonus schemes and superb learning and development opportunities.
What we are looking for
- Have experience and knowledge of shock, vibration, data analysis, systems engineering and mechanical testing are beneficial.
- Have good technical report writing and presentation skills.
- You will have a willing, helpful attitude and a calm professional manner, when under pressure.
- To succeed in this role you will need to be organised and have a keen eye for details.
- You should be keen to learn and have a personal drive to develop your skills both on the job and through FDP training.
Please note that in order to apply for MBDA UK opportunities you will need to be eligible forSC (Secret Level) UK Security Clearance.
Qualified to degree level or equivalent in mechanical engineering, aerospace engineering or related discipline. A minimum of 2:2 will be required.
Accepted degree subjects
How to apply
Click Apply to start your application now. This job will be available on Prospects until 28/02/2019
Don't forget to mention Prospects to employers when you contact them.
Closing date: Continuous recruitment
Additional job details