There is an opportunity for an Undergraduate to join the Future Battlespace Solutions sector to participate is a wide range of analytical studies that will help shape MBDA’s future products. The successful candidate will be able to develop a sound knowledge of weapon systems in operational use, and the role is well-placed for gaining a broad understanding of missile systems and learning about the defence industry. Work is conducted within three teams: Operational Analysis, Battle Modelling and Weapon System concepts. The undergraduate may work in one or more of these teams during his/her placement year.
What will you be doing?
The successful candidate will be involved in a wide variety of analytical tasks for multiple projects throughout the placement. Problem solving is a key theme in Future Battlespace Solutions and studies can range from weapon system level to scenario level. Tasks include:
- Developing, running and documenting models used to study and visualise the future battlespace
- Collation of input data to be used in studies, and analysis of results/output data
- Self-managed research tasks on specified topics
- Preparation of presentations and reports for a wide range of studies, for delivery to both internal and external customers
- Analysis of system capability for both MBDA and market products
- Showcasing analysis capability to internal customers such as sales and business development
What are the benefits for you?
As an Undergraduate you will experience a wide range of tasks and develop a broad understanding of weapon systems and the business. You will get hands-on experience with Future Battlespace Solution’s models and be able to participate in a range of training courses. You will get the chance to work alongside experienced analysts and practice using a range of computer based models and tools.
The role will also develop your problem solving and analysis skills, as well as written and verbal communication. Previous Undergraduates in the department have gone on to progress their careers at MBDA.
What’s great about joining this team?
As an Undergraduate, you will be joining a dynamic working environment and working with concepts and technologies for products that will enter service perhaps 15 years from now. You will be joining a friendly and helpful team, who are very knowledgeable and willing to help you develop and learn.
The Weapon Systems Concepts team identifies and defines potential future weapon system concepts, based on anticipated customer requirements and promising future technologies.
The Operational Analysis team is concerned with quantitative and qualitative assessment of weapons system options in warfighting scenarios, developing the tactics for future weapons, and generating evidence to support high level decision making.
The Battle Modelling team develops and uses a suite of mathematical modelling and simulation tools, including an air combat flight simulator.
What would you get?
Competitive joining bonus and salaries, flexible working, paid overtime, a comprehensive pension scheme, employee funded voluntary private healthcare, sporting activities, fantastic site facilities, bonus schemes and superb learning and development opportunities.
Why you should come and work at MBDA
- MBDA, a world leader in missiles and missile systems, is a multi-national group with over 10,000 employees on industrial facilities in France, Germany, Italy, the United Kingdom and a presence in the United States
- With some of the most sophisticated technology in defence, MBDA offers a wide range of advanced weapon systems for maritime superiority, air dominance, ground based air defence and battlefield engagement
- We work with over 90 armed forces, successfully integrating our systems onto multiple platforms.
- Has a technology pedigree that allows innovative and responsive products to be created year upon year
- Our success is based on the dedication of our people and we strive to offer each and every employee an enjoyable, challenging and rewarding career
- MBDA is ranked 12 in the Sunday Times Top 30 Best Big Companies to Work For, demonstrating successful growth and high levels of employee retention.
Our work is complex, challenging and innovative. It takes a range of professionals across the full engineering and commercial spectrum to carry it out. Whatever field our people specialise in, they all share the same mind-set: a drive to make things work better and to redefine the established standards
The successful candidate will be an enthusiastic problem solver who is eager to learn. To succeed in this role you will have a helpful attitude and a professional manner, but also be open to new ideas. You will need to be capable of clear, logical thinking, sometimes when both the problem and data are uncertain.
Qualifications and experience requirements
Suitable degrees: paths, physics, systems engineering, computational studies or similar
Accepted degree subjects
How to apply
Please note that in order to apply for MBDA UK opportunities you will need to be eligible for SC (Secret Level) UK Security Clearance.
Closing date: Continuous recruitment
This job listing will no longer be available on Prospects from 28/02/2018