You will have the opportunity to work at the forefront of defence, working alongside our highly qualified engineers, to deliver key multinational defence projects. Within the mechanical engineering function we have an opportunity for the right candidate to develop their skills and knowledge across internal research, design and analysis through to Integration and Testing.
What will you be doing?
You will undertake four six month placements from among the following key areas:
- Mechanical design – during a typical mechanical design placement you can expect to be involved in all stages of design from concept development through to manufacture. This role may rely on CAD tools and give you the opportunity to be involved in laboratory test programs
- Mechanical future concepts - a chance to be involved in the cutting edge of missile technology through the early stages of the product lifecycle including concept development and R&D studies
- Mechanical analysis - a mechanical analysis placement gives you the opportunity to support the design process through the use of FEA tools and laboratory testing for both stress and thermal analysis
- Actuation systems - working in a multidisciplinary team on the electro-mechanical design of fin, wing and seeker actuation system. A mechanical engineering role in actuation systems is broadly similar to a mechanical design placement with the possibility of working in an international team
- Materials and Processes Group - responsible for informing design teams’ choice of materials and processes, a chance to get involved in research of novel materials and practical lab based assessments
Graduates have the opportunity to participate in external placements across the business or with one of our research partners. The above roles form the main body of placements but are not extensive. Exact placement details are dependent on workloads and are able to be tailored to the individual’s development.
What are the benefits for you?
Members of the Early Careers Programme (ECP) are provided with a range of support networks including a buddy who will be a member of your peer group to show you the ropes and act as a point of contact for informal questions. A Mentor is also available to provide career advice and support to gain chartership from your chosen body (the ECP is accredited with the IMechE, IET and RAeS). Training is provided as required and is tailored to your role; you will also be given networking opportunities as part of your ECP. We encourage involvement in STEM activities and support a number of events throughout the year for local schools.
What’s great about joining this team?
- Supportive and collaborative working environment
- Hands on work experience can be gained from all placements, and interaction with hardware is actively encouraged to help further understanding of the product.
- Broad range of mechanical engineering challenges across missiles and associated systems
- Wide knowledge base and range of experiences can be found in all departments
- Opportunity to interface with MBDA on a group level.
- You will be contributing to meaningful work from the outset; all work is relevant to a project.
- Within Mechanical Engineering there is an outstanding track record for our engineers achieving Chartership through the IMechE
What would you get?
Competitive joining bonus and salaries, flexible working, paid overtime, a comprehensive pension scheme, employee funded voluntary private healthcare, sporting activities, fantastic site facilities, bonus schemes and superb learning and development opportunities.
Why you should come and work at MBDA?
- MBDA, a world leader in missiles and missile systems, is a multi-national group with over 10,000 employees on industrial facilities in France, Germany, Italy, the United Kingdom and a presence in the United States
- With some of the most sophisticated technology in defence, MBDA offers a wide range of advanced weapon systems for maritime Superiority, Air Dominance, Ground Based Air Defence and Battlefield Engagement
- We work with over 90 armed forces, successfully integrating our systems onto multiple platforms.
- Has a technology pedigree that allows innovative and responsive products to be created year upon year
- Our success is based on the dedication of our people and we strive to offer each and every employee an enjoyable, challenging and rewarding career
- MBDA is ranked 12th in the Sunday Times Top 30 Best Big Companies to Work For, demonstrating successful growth and high levels of employee retention.
- Our work is complex, challenging and innovative. It takes a range of professionals across the full engineering and commercial spectrum to carry it out. Whatever field our people specialise in, they all share the same mind-set: a drive to make things work better and to redefine the established standards
- You will need to be motivated and hard working with a positive and professional attitude to challenges. Both your technical and personal skills are required to be of a high level as you will be working in a team and interacting with others.
- The ideal candidate will be proactive in nature, have strong verbal and written communications skills, enthusiastic about innovative problem solving, with the ability to work individually or as a member of a high performing team.
- Previous industrial experience is preferred but not essential to the role as training will be provided.
- Please note that in order to apply for MBDA UK opportunities you will need to be eligible for SC (Secret Level) UK Security Clearance.
Qualifications and experience requirements
- Have or be working towards a minimum of a 2:2 in mechanical engineering, materials science, aerospace engineering, aeronautical engineering or control systems engineering. Within mechanical engineering there is a high level of focus on our engineers becoming chartered so we prefer applicants to be working towards a Master’s degree.
Accepted degree subjects
How to apply
Closing date: 30/11/2017
This job listing will no longer be available on Prospects from 30/11/2017