We have one of the largest Human Factors Teams within the UK defence industry; we analyse how human operators interact with the weapon systems and whether the design of the system permits efficient operation. We also actively research the capabilities of emerging commercial off-the-shelf technology to meet these current and future requirements. These technologies are used to conceptualise and create designs for future weapon systems.
Join us to work alongside and learn from some of the most experienced Human Factors practitioners in the UK, within a highly supportive and structured environment.
What will you be doing?
With significant guidance and support you will carry out day-to-day engineering activities that may include;
- Use of CAD software to analyse how human operators interact with the weapon systems and whether the design of the system permits efficient operation.
- Providing support to more senior Human Factors colleagues in project and research work.
- Support on-going development programmes
- When possible you may also participate in trials and experimentation events.
- Carrying out technical investigations under guidance, in order to provide recommendations for problem assessment and the construction of design improvements.
- The design work conducted will be in line with Human Factors technical standards and guidance documentation.
- Specific technical activities that recent candidates have been involved in include:
- Anthropometric modelling using JACK software
- Workload analysis
- Situational Awareness assessments
- Manual handling trials
- HCI/HMI design
- Virtual Reality
- Any necessary training and support will be provided by highly experienced engineers with diverse backgrounds; within the department and project teams.
- Apply and develop your skills across a diverse range of scenarios; gaining wide-ranging, hands-on experience in the application of Human Factors within the defence sector.
- Play a vital role in a team considered to be an industry leader in Human Factors Integration (HFI).
- Work closely with military users in order to gain insight and feedback on MBDA product solutions. This exposure will allow you to gain a further insight to the defence world and help you to develop your understanding of the many aspects which are of interest to HF; including military roles, use of equipment and processes.
- Access to the latest equipment and technologies; we use advanced technology in our weapon systems to meet the current and future needs of the armed forces in the land, sea and air domains.
- You will have a real influence on active projects. You will find it is both rewarding and motivating to see your inputs carried forward into final designs.
- Dependant on project work there is the potential for international travel in order to promote the sharing and development of Human Factors Integration best practice.
What’s great about joining this team?
- Team members work across a variety of different projects
- We hold regular informal meetings to share knowledge, issues or points of interest.
- Support from the team at all times
- Learn about a variety of projects being conducted within the department.
“The department social events always go down well; these are a great opportunity to get to know the team outside of the office. Previously we have had themed nights such as “Come Dine with Me” and Christmas Cocktails.” Tim, Human Factors.
Who and what we are looking for from you?
Current undergraduates studying Ergonomics, Human Factors, Psychology, Systems Engineering or other related discipline.
An ambition to work with the Human Factors Domain within the defence industry.
Ability to adapt well to changing goals and requirements.
Great interpersonal skills, happy to work as part of a team.
Ability to use own intuition to work out the best or most suitable course of action.
What would you get?
- Flexible working hours
- Paid overtime
- A comprehensive pension scheme
- Employee funded voluntary private healthcare
- Sporting activities
- Paid holiday
- Fantastic site facilities
- A share of the annual Company Bonus
- On the job learning and development opportunities.
MBDA UK requires all employees to achieve and maintain SC security clearance or above without restrictions that will inhibit the individual’s ability to fulfil the requirements of the role.
MBDA is committed to providing an inclusive working environment where our employees can be themselves and everyone has equal opportunity to reach their full potential. We value difference and know that a diverse community makes for greater innovation and brings a breadth of skills, experience and perspectives.
10 month placement.
What we are looking for
- Currently studying towards a degree in an aerospace engineering or other related subject
- A passion for aerodynamics and propulsion
- The ability to clearly communicate and present ideas including preparing technical presentations and reports.
Accepted degree subjects
Additional job details
Salary pro-rated over the 10 months
- Contract, dates and working times
- Fixed term
How to apply
Click Apply to start your application now. This job will be available on Prospects until 31 December 2019
Don't forget to mention Prospects to employers when you contact them.
Closing date: Continuous recruitment