Our Mechanical Engineering degree apprenticeship is a four-year course where you will study towards a fully funded Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering. You will study for this qualification on a minimum of one day release per week, at the University of Hertfordshire, Hatfield.
During the remainder of the working week you will work within the Mechanical Engineering departmenton rotational placements whilst earning a competitive salary. This unique way of studying allows you to earn an academic and nationally recognised qualification, as well as gain hands on learning experience within a professional and friendly workplace.
What you will be doing
Placements within Mechanical Engineering include:
- Mechanical design
- Mechanical future concepts
- Actuation systems mechanical analysis
- Materials and processes
- Drawing office
As well as a variety of placements, you will have the opportunity to undertake developmental training and support:
- An induction event that allows you the opportunity to interact with all ECP new-starters, and integrate into the business
- Two, one-week residential courses to develop skills, such as team working, business communication, presentation and project management skills
- Two-day career development workshop at the end of the scheme to assist you moving from an apprentice into the business
- A breadth of experience and support is available which includes a buddy system to welcome you into MBDA, access to the mentoring scheme and regular informal meetings with other Early Careers Programme (ECP) members and managers
- You will also get fantastic opportunities to bring your technical knowledge to schools as a STEM ambassador
- Five days paid study days to prepare for exams per year
“As a mechanical engineering apprentice, I’m getting to know the mechanical function as a whole and seeing how everyone in the function works together in more detail. I really enjoy the work that I do on a day-to-day basis in the placements that I’ve had so far” Emma - Mechanical Engineer Apprentice
What we are looking for from you?
Candidates must have a minimum of 120 UCAS points through either:
- A BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma (DDM or above) in Engineering
- Three A-levels (which must include maths plus physics or engineering/technology)
- GCSE maths and English at grade C / Level 4 or above
- A willingness to learn and apply newly gained knowledge quickly
What you would get:
- An annual increase of up to £4,000 dependant on your performance in placements and university.
- Annual company bonus scheme
- Continuous learning and development opportunities.
- Flexible working hours
- Fantastic site facilities
- Paid overtime
- 25 days paid holiday
- A comprehensive pension scheme
- Employee funded voluntary private healthcare
- Sporting activities
Starting: September 2020.
Additional job details
How to apply
MBDA UK requires all employees to achieve and maintain SC security clearance or above without restrictions that will inhibit the individual’s ability to fulfil the requirements of the role.
MBDA is committed to providing an inclusive working environment where our employees can be themselves and everyone has equal opportunity to reach their full potential. We value difference and know that a diverse community makes for greater innovation and brings a breadth of skills, experience and perspectives.
Are you a member of LinkedIn? If so, you are invited to join our LinkedIn Group to view future MBDA UK opportunities and news.
LinkedIn Group name: Engineering UK (Defence) #LI-DNI
Click Apply to start your application now. This job will be available on Prospects until 5 January 2020
Don't forget to mention Prospects to employers when you contact them.
Closing date: 5 January 2020