What’s the opportunity?
A chance to work at the forefront of the defence sector alongside highly qualified and experienced engineers within the Mechanical Engineering function. You will have the opportunity to work in a number of roles from Internal Research, Design and Analysis through to Integration and Testing. Throughout each role you will develop further as an engineer whilst contributing towards key multinational projects with the support of our highly focused, world class teams.
What will you be doing?
You will undertake a one year fixed term placement ineitherone oracross the following:
- Mechanical Design –
- During a typical Mechanical Design placement you can expect to be involved in all stages of design from concept development through to manufacture. This role may rely on CAD tools and give you the opportunity to be involved in laboratory test programs
- Mechanical Future Concepts
- A chance to be involved in the cutting edge of missile technology through the early stages of the product lifecycle including concept development and R&D studies
- Mechanical Analysis-
- A Mechanical Analysis placement gives you the opportunity to support the design process through the use of FEA tools and laboratory testing for both stress and thermal analysis
- Actuation Systems
- Working in a multidisciplinary team on the electro-mechanical design of fin, wing and seeker actuation system. Work for a mechanical engineering role is broadly similar to a mechanical design placement with the possibility of working in an international team.
- Materials and Processes Group
- Responsible for informing design teams choice of materials and processes, a chance to get involved in research of novel materials and practical lab based assessments.
MBDA is a global leader in the design and manufacture of missiles and missile systems; competing at the forefront of the defence industry.
MBDA is a multi-national company, with 10,000 employees on industrial facilities spanning France, Germany, Italy, the United Kingdom and the United States. With some of the most sophisticated technology in defence, MBDA is Europe’s leading guided weapons company and prime complex weapon contractor to the UK MOD. With this in mind we continually look to broaden our existing talent base whilst maintaining a strategic edge and exploiting new markets and applications for our world-class technology base.
You will need to be motivated and hard working with a positive and professional attitude to challenges. Both your technical and personal skills are required to be of a high level as you will be working in a team and interacting with others.
- Independent working, time management key to meeting deadlines
- Drive to succeed
- Motivated to develop
Previous industrial experience is preferred but not essential to the role as training will be provided.
- Qualifications and qualities
- “To succeed in this role, you need an eye for detail”
- Educational requirements
- Experience including management skills
- Required behaviours – i.e. “you will have a willing, helpful attitude and a calm professional manner, even when things are changed at the last minute……”
Qualifications and experience requirements
In order to qualify for this role you will need to be working towards a minimum of a 2:2 in Mechanical Engineering, Materials Science, Aerospace Engineering, Aeronautical Engineering, Control Systems Engineering (Bachelors or Masters).
Accepted degree subjects
engineering, electronic and electrical · materials science · engineering, aerospace · engineering, mechanical
Flexible working, paid overtime (subject to level), a comprehensive pension scheme, discounted private healthcare scheme, sporting activities, fantastic site facilities, bonus schemes (subject to level).
Contract and working hours
Fixed term · Full-time
How to apply
Please note that in order to apply for MBDA UK opportunities you will need to be eligible for SC (Secret Level) UK Security Clearance.
Closing date: 31/01/2017
This job listing will no longer be available on Prospects from 31/01/2017