To join the Software Engineering team at MBDA and study part time for a fully funded degree. Our collaborative team focuses on providing advanced software solutions for a wide range of sophisticated missile systems.
On this four-year scheme you will work towards a Bachelor’s degree in Digital and Technology Solutions from Weston college (accredited by UWE), via a minimum of one day per week study at the university. When not at College you will be working onsite with different development methodologies, test strategies, varying lifecycles, and more which will ensure your time with Software Engineering is an engaging, enriching, and rewarding experience. You will gain experience with a number of programming languages and tools.
What you will be doing
Through a combination of on-the-job technical training and time studying a digital and technology solutions degree, specialising in Software Engineering at Weston College, you will develop the skills to design, create, and test software effectively.
Working closely with other teams and departments, you will work at various stages in the software development process, covering anything from embedded systems to front end software. This software will be developed on a range of platforms, including Linux and Windows, utilising languages including C, C++ and Java.
As well as a variety of placements, you will have the opportunity to undertake developmental training and support:
- An induction event that allows you the opportunity to interact with all ECP new-starters, and integrate into the business
- Two, one-week residential courses to develop skills, such as team working, business communication, presentation and project management skills
- Two-day career development workshop at the end of the scheme to assist you moving from an apprentice into the business
- A breadth of experience and support is available which includes a buddy system to welcome you into MBDA, access to the mentoring scheme and regular informal meetings with other Early Careers Programme (ECP) members and managers
- You will also get fantastic opportunities to bring your technical knowledge to schools as a STEM ambassador
- Five days paid study days to prepare for exams per year
“I love my role as a Software engineer, it mixes logic with creativity. MBDA has helped me develop as a well-rounded individual, capable of taking on large scale projects rather than simply a coder.” Nicola - Software Apprentice.
What we are looking for from you?
Candidates must have a minimum of 120 UCAS points through either:
- Three A-levels (one in an IT based subject)
- BTEC extended Diploma in Computing (or relevant IT subject_ at DDM level
- GCSE maths and English at Grade C / Level 4 or above.
- Basic experience of coding
What you would get:
- An annual increase of up to £4,000 dependant on your performance in placements and university.
- Annual company bonus scheme
- Continuous learning and development opportunities.
- Flexible working hours
- Fantastic site facilities
- Paid overtime
- 25 days paid holiday
- A comprehensive pension scheme
- Employee funded voluntary private healthcare
- Sporting activities
Starting: September 2020.
Additional job details
How to apply
MBDA UK requires all employees to achieve and maintain SC security clearance or above without restrictions that will inhibit the individual’s ability to fulfil the requirements of the role.
MBDA is committed to providing an inclusive working environment where our employees can be themselves and everyone has equal opportunity to reach their full potential. We value difference and know that a diverse community makes for greater innovation and brings a breadth of skills, experience and perspectives.
Are you a member of LinkedIn? If so, you are invited to join our LinkedIn Group to view future MBDA UK opportunities and news.
LinkedIn Group name: Engineering UK (Defence) #LI-DNI
Click Apply to start your application now. This job will be available on Prospects until 5 January 2020
Don't forget to mention Prospects to employers when you contact them.
Closing date: 5 January 2020