What’s the opportunity?
By joining the Software Engineering team, you will be directly involved with a diverse range of projects. You will gain exposure to numerous programming languages, software tools and software lifecycle methodologies, ensuring your time in the team is an engaging, challenging and unique experience.
What will you be doing?
You will develop the skills necessary to become a well-rounded software engineer. This goal will be achieved through a combination of technical training, 4 challenging work placements and career support.
You will work closely with other teams in a variety of development stages within our weapons systems including both embedded and front end software development on a range of platforms, such as Windows and Linux, utilising C, C++, Ada and/or Java. You will also be ensuring the functional and technical robustness of project deliverables, and be responsible for the creation and maintenance of technical documentation.
Non-technical responsibilities include interfacing with other parts of the company, making sound business decisions, learning a general overview of the business, and keeping team members and managers up to date with your progress on a project and personal development level. You will also have the opportunity to organise and support business level activities such as forums, talks and presentations, competitions and charity events.
What are the benefits for you?
- Exposure to all aspects of a software development lifecycle
- Formal and on the job training provided for learning new programming languages and software tools
- Fantastic opportunities to bring your technical knowledge to schools and inspire the next generation of engineers through the STEM programme (for example - building a functioning robot with a school team for a competition) and work experience visits
- A chance to collaborate with others in the annual software engineering challenge – form a team to solve a demanding and engaging software problem
- Opportunities to travel – in particular, we work closely with our colleagues in France and Italy
- Opportunities to work abroad for six months to a year under the Software Engineering Mobility scheme
- Personal development events and experiences throughout the Early Careers Programme scheme
What’s great about joining this team?
- A breadth of experience and support available in the departments, which includes a Buddy system to welcome you into MBDA, access to mentoring, and regular informal meetings with other early careers members in Software Engineering
- You will be working in an assistive and collaborative open plan working environment and systems laboratories, aimed at aiding your learning and development
Why you should come and work at MBDA?
MBDA, a world leader in missiles and missile systems, is a multi-national group with over 10,000 employees on industrial facilities in France, Germany, Italy, the United Kingdom and a presence in the United States. With some of the most sophisticated technology in defence, MBDA offers a wide range of advanced weapon systems for maritime superiority, air dominance, ground based air defence and battlefield engagement.
- We work with over 90 armed forces, successfully integrating our systems onto multiple platforms.
- Has a technology pedigree that allows innovative and responsive products to be created year-upon-year
- Our success is based on the dedication of our people and we strive to offer each and every employee an enjoyable, challenging and rewarding career
- MBDA is ranked 12 in the Sunday Times Top 30 Best Big Companies to Work For, demonstrating successful growth and high levels of employee retention.
- Our work is complex, challenging and innovative. It takes a range of professionals across the full engineering and commercial spectrum to carry it out. Whatever field our people specialise in, they all share the same mind-set: a drive to make things work better and to redefine the established standards
What would you get?
- Two pay reviews per year during the first two years
- Joining bonus of £2,000 if you have a bachelors or £2,500 if you have a masters
- Paid, flexible working hours
- Paid overtime
- A comprehensive pension scheme
- Employee funded voluntary private healthcare
- Sporting activities
- Fantastic site facilities
- Annual company bonus schemes and superb learning and development opportunities
What we are looking for
- A proactive attitude and being comfortable taking the initiative
- A willingness to learn and apply newly gained knowledge quickly
- To be capable of working as part of a team and individually
- Being adaptable to changing requirements
Please note thatin order to apply for MBDA UK opportunities you will need to be eligible forSC (Secret Level) UK Security Clearance.
To have obtained at least a 2:2 in a computer science or other science or engineering based degree, such as software engineering, electrical/electronic engineering, physics or maths.
Accepted degree subjects
- computer sciences and IT
- electronic and electrical engineering
Additional job details
How to apply
This position is for those who will have graduated by 2019 only. We will review applications late August, with a start date expected in Nov/Dec 2019. If you are graduating in 2020 please search for 2020 roles from September.
Click Apply to start your application now. This job will be available on Prospects until 31 July 2019
Don't forget to mention Prospects to employers when you contact them.
Closing date: Continuous recruitment