MBDA offers a four-year programme for Software Apprentices to join the Test Software Engineering Team, whilst studying part time for a fully funded degree in Digital & Technology Solutions BSc (Hons) at Weston College.
You will gain experience working with a number of programming languages and tools, working with different development methodologies, a number of test strategies, varying lifecycles, and more; ensuring your time with Software Engineering is an engaging, enriching and rewarding experience.
What you will be doing
Through a combination of on-the-job technical training and time studying at college, Software Apprentices will develop the skills to effectively design, create, and test software.
Working closely with other teams and departments, you will work through a variety of stages in the software development process, covering anything from embedded systems to front end software. This software will be developed on a range of platforms, including Linux and Windows, utilising C/C++, LabView and Java. You will also be ensuring the functional and technical robustness of deliverables, and will be responsible for the creation and maintenance of documentation.
You will also have the opportunity to work with other departments, including operations placements on the shop floor, to increase understanding your of MBDA.
As well as challenging placements you will have the opportunity to undertake developmental training:
- An induction event that allows you the opportunity to interact with fellow new-starters, and integrate into the business
- Two x 1 week-long residential courses in Wales to develop skills, such as team working, business communication, presentation and project management skills.
- Two two day career development workshop at the end of the scheme to assist you moving from an apprentice into the business.
You’ll be provided with formal advice and guidance throughout the scheme by HR, learning and development, managers across the business and a trained mentor.
What are the benefits for you?
- Fully funded digital technology solutions degree, specialising in software engineering
- Five days per year paid study time
- On the job training and technical support
- Fantastic opportunities to bring your technical knowledge to schools as a STEM ambassador
- A range of personal development opportunities
- Flexible working hours
- 25 days paid holiday plus public holidays.
- Five days paid study days to prepare for exams, per year
What’s great about joining this team?
- A breadth of experience and support is available in the department, including: a buddy to welcome you into MBDA; access to the mentoring scheme; and regular informal meetings with other Early Careers members and managers.
- Working in an open plan working environment and in systems laboratories
- Enter the annual Software Engineering Team Challenge, which offers the chance to collaborate with others in the team to tackle a demanding and engaging software problem.
What we are looking for from you
- Candidates must have a minimum of 120 UCAS points through either: BTEC extended diploma (DDM) in any subject or three A-levels in any subject and GCSE maths and English at Grade C / Level 4 or above
- A dedicated attitude and be comfortable taking the initiative.
- A willingness to learn and apply newly gained knowledge quickly.
- To be capable of working as part of a team and individually.
- Ability to balance workload between university and work commitments.
Please note that in order to apply for MBDA UK opportunities you will need to be eligible for SC (Secret Level) UK Security Clearance.
What you would get
£14,250 starting salary with an annual increase of up to £4,000 dependant on your performance in placements and university. Flexible working hours, paid overtime if required, 25 paid days holiday, a comprehensive pension scheme, employee funded voluntary private healthcare, sporting activities, fantastic site facilities, company bonus schemes and superb learning and development opportunities.
How to apply
Click Apply to start your application now. This job will be available on Prospects until 09/03/2019
Don't forget to mention Prospects to employers when you contact them.
Closing date: 09/03/2019
Additional job details