What’s the role?
This opportunity is for a role as a Systems Engineer working within the design community developing complex weapon systems within the System Design and Validation Function (SD&V).
All MBDA graduates will join the Early Careers Programme (ECP) which is a structured development programme designed to support your transition from academia into industry. The System Design ECP is a two year scheme made up of four placements.
Systems Design Engineers within MBDA are responsible for:
- Conceptualising new products and technologies
- Writing system and sub-system level specifications
- Developing and managing requirements
- Proving, validation and certification
- Integrating hardware and software
- Platform integration (airframes, vehicles, ships)
- Simulating weapon system performance and analysing missile trials data
At MBDA you will
- Develop a comprehensive understanding of each element of a missile weapon system from the warhead to the seeker
- Work alongside experts with varied skills and backgrounds within SD&V and other functions (Weapons Architecture, Seekers, Lethality and Warheads, Software, Business and Procurement, Simulation and Modelling etc.)
- Work with external stakeholders, subcontractors, government customers and industry consortium partners
- Work within teams responsible for coordinating and completing multi-million pound weapons installations
- Be given the responsibility to deliver programme critical items of work and have the opportunity to use your knowledge and influence to guide programme level design decisions
- Conduct varied day-to-day work with workload management
The experience you will gain will cover many provable systems engineering methods such as Model Based Systems Engineering (MBSE), which you will apply to projects at all stages of the CADMID lifecycle.
While on the graduate scheme you will undertake four 6 month long placements. One of these placements can be external to the SD&V function.
This is an opportunity to experience another part of the company which does not have to be in an engineering discipline, for example graduates have completed external placements in areas from Business and Procurement, Executive Support to the Seeker Division and Lethality and Warheads.
There is also the possibility to complete an external placement as a secondment to the Customer or to other Defence companies (subject to availability and appropriateness).
- You will have access to the full breadth of training courses and facilities that MBDA offers. For the SD&V function some relevant courses you may take part in include DOORS Training, MBSE Training and Writing Requirements.
- You will also benefit from training and support provided by experienced engineers within the department and project teams.
- MBDA support continual professional development such as engineering Chartership through multiple accrediting organisations.
What you would get
Starting salary of £26,250 with two pay reviews per year during the first two years,joining bonus of £2,000 if you have a Bachelors or £2,500 if you have a Masters. Flexible working hours, paid overtime, a comprehensive pension scheme, employee funded voluntary private healthcare, sporting activities, fantastic site facilities, annual company bonus schemes and superb learning and development opportunities.
What we are looking for
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Effective communicators who are able to demonstrate skills in presenting and technical report writing
- Have an interest in the defence industry
- We are looking for someone who has initiative and drive, has strong attention to detail and problem solving skills, proactive in finding and collecting information and thinking about further steps, capable of quickly understanding complex problems
- Ability to demonstrate experience of working in teams and taking on responsibility
- Able to derive logical solutions to inform design decisions
Please note that in order to apply for MBDA UK opportunities you will need to be eligible forSC (Secret Level) UK Security Clearance.
Hold, or be working towards a minimum 2:2 honours degree (or equivalent qualification) in aeronautical, aerospace, electrical or systems engineering, maths, physics, or similar, applicants with relevant postgraduate qualifications are also encouraged
Accepted degree subjects
How to apply
Click Apply to start your application now. This job will be available on Prospects until 31/12/2019
Don't forget to mention Prospects to employers when you contact them.
Closing date: Continuous recruitment
Additional job details