To work across a variety of projects and engineering disciplines as part of a large, international Group. This is a two year structured Graduate programme in Weapon System Equipment (WSE) with the opportunity of exploring an six month external placement within another department either internal or external to MBDA.
What will you be doing?
MBDA designs, develops and produces many complex products and systems. These products consist of intricate sub-systems and equipment, each of which requires comprehensive technical and project management to ensure that they are fit for purpose and delivered on time and to cost.
The Weapon System Equipment (WSE) team is a fast-growing group of engineers, within the larger Weapon System Architecture & Equipment (WSAE) Group, who are responsible for managing groups of equipment and Weapon System sub-systems from the bidding stage, through their development programme, on to production and integration in to the platform.
WSE develop innovative architectures, equipment policies and technical standards to enable us to effectively and efficiently achieve our weapon systems’ requirements, delivering equipment to meet performance needs and optimise modularity and reuse.
Additionally, our highly skilled teams are deployed across MBDA product lines to maximise the benefits of tri-national synergy and apply lessons learnt, good practice and re-use across projects.
As a WSE engineer, you will develop broad and comprehensive skills in several technical areas, project management and product delivery. Regular contact with suppliers and customers will require professionalism and diplomacy in presenting the subsystem achievements and programme. You will work with a multi-disciplined team across the product life cycle, including procurement, commercial, external suppliers & design authorities, mechanical & electronic engineers, software engineers, trials & integration teams, and customers.
Typical equipment and sub-systems WSE develop or manage include:
- Ground, naval and airborne launchers
- Launcher sequencers (delivering comms and power to the missiles pre-launch)
- Command and control hardware
- Ruggedized laptops, terminals and control panels
- Communication systems
What’s great about joining this team?
- A Weapon System is much more than just a missile – the group provides world class products and solutions to deliver complex systems and all-round capabilities to our Customers. With such a diverse range of skills, expertise and domains, we offer those on the Early Careers Programme (ECP) the ability to get a great overview of what makes a Weapon System.
- The opportunity to work across a variety of projects and engineering disciplines as part of a large, international WSAE Group
- A breadth of experience and support available in the department which include a buddy system to welcome you into MBDA, access to the mentoring scheme and regular informal meetings with other ECP members in the WSAE Group.
- You will be working in an assistive and collaborative open plan working environment and systems laboratories, aimed at aiding your learning and development.
Why you should come and work at MBDA
- With some of the most sophisticated technology in defence, MBDA is Europe’s largest guided weapons company and with this in mind we continually look to broaden our existing talent base whilst maintaining a strategic edge, by exploiting new markets and new applications for our world-class technology base.
- Our success is based on the dedication of our people and we strive to offer each and every employee an enjoyable, challenging and rewarding career.
- MBDA, a world leader in missiles and missile systems, is a multi-national group with over 10,000 employees on industrial facilities in France, Germany, Italy, the United Kingdom and a presence in the United States
- With some of the most sophisticated technology in defence, MBDA offers a wide range of advanced weapon systems for maritime superiority, air dominance, ground based air defence and battlefield engagement
- We work with over 90 armed forces, successfully integrating our systems onto multiple platforms.
- Has a technology pedigree that allows innovative and responsive products to be created year upon year
- Our success is based on the dedication of our people and we strive to offer each and every employee an enjoyable, challenging and rewarding career
- MBDA is ranked 12th in the Sunday Times Top 30 Best Big Companies to Work For, demonstrating successful growth and high levels of employee retention.
Our work is complex, challenging and innovative. It takes a range of professionals across the full engineering and commercial spectrum to carry it out. Whatever field our people specialise in, they all share the same mind-set: a drive to make things work better and to redefine the established standards.
As a WSE engineer, you will need to develop a clear understanding of the overall project needs and be able to weave these priorities into that subsystem delivery, which often requires speedy adjustments to the programme and the judgements of the effect technical non-compliances have on the wider system.
Please note that in order to apply for MBDA UK opportunities you will need to be eligible for SC (Secret Level) UK Security Clearance.
Qualifications and experience requirements
We would welcome a well performing applicant working towards a 2.2 or higher in subjects such as engineering (mechanical, electronic, systems, aerospace etc.), physics, mathematics and computer science. However, we also require applicants with the right skills, behavioural qualities and potential to fulfil the needs of the role:
- Could you gain a breadth of understanding of complex systems and apply your knowledge to various subjects/other engineering domains?
- Could you adapt to switch between customer-focused, supplier-focused and technical-focused activities?
- Do you have strong communication, negotiation and influencing skills?
- Do you have other interests/experience that you could apply?
What sets you apart from your peers?
Accepted degree subjects
How to apply
Closing date: 30/11/2017
This job listing will no longer be available on Prospects from 30/11/2017