Are you a student or recent graduate looking for a valuable professional experience in Spain? Don't miss out this opportunity to teach English in Spain and become a Language Assistant in a private school. No matter what your background and level of Spanish are, there is a Meddeas program for you. Receive a monthly income, free TEFL-related training and take the opportunity to explore another country.
You have the opportunity to get one of the last positions left to become a language assistant in a Spanish school this academic year. Application period for next year is open as well (bear in mind that the conditions stated below are next academic year conditions, so if you apply for a position starting immediately the amount of the grant may be slightly different).
Live a once in a lifetime opportunity
Becoming a Language Assistant in a Spanish school with Meddeas is a unique experience that will stay with you forever. For one academic year, you will be enrolled in a structured programme and teach 20 hours a week in one of the 200 educational centres we work with. Gain international experience teaching English in Spain and add transferable skills to your CV. Take advantage of this opportunity to discover a new culture and language, paying no fees and with a guaranteed monthly income, which is more than enough for living in Spain as a student.
So what type of opportunity to teach English abroad does Meddeas offer?
According to your background and interests, there is a Meddeas programme for you that will include a university-certified course and a placement to teach English in Spain.
- Qualifications: degree in English Language or Education or any degree plus TEFL certificate
- Conversation practice with up to 28 pupils
- Monthly grant: 930 Euros OR 480 Euros plus full board accommodation with a host family
- Qualifications: any degree
- Conversation practice with up to 14 pupils
- Monthly grant: 880 Euros OR 430 Euros plus full board accommodation with a host family
- Minimum qualifications: any degree or university students or gap years
- Conversation practice with small groups or assisting the main teacher
- Monthly grant: 330 Euros plus full board accommodation with a host family
Co-op Placements / year in industry
- Minimum qualifications: only university students who need to complete a placement as part of their degree
- Conversation practice with small groups OR assisting the main teacher - compatible with Erasmus plus funds (up to 380€ if available through your university)
- Placement option and grant amount: COOP9: Sept./Oct. to May/June: 330 Euros with a host family (full board accommodation) or 762 Euros living independently
Depending on your preferences and motivations, there are two lodging options: full board accommodation with a host family or independent housing. Families in these programmes are linked to the school and chosen by its principal. In fact, they host the Language Assistant on a volunteer basis to experience a cultural and linguistic immersion. The main idea of this cultural exchange is that, when they are not at school, Language Assistants will spend half of their time interacting with the family in English and the other half interacting in Spanish, travelling or enjoying their spare time as they want. During the programme, the family will cover meals and accommodation expenses.
Starting days available
- January 2018 until May/June 2018
- September/October 2018 until May/June 2019
For 20 teaching hours per week:
- Host family option ( accommodation expenses covered): from 330 euros/month to 480 euros/month
- Independent accommodation: from 880 euros/month to 930 euros/month
- Join a Spanish school as a Language Assistant teaching 20 hours per week
- Take a certified course given by a Spanish university and paid by the program. Depending on the program, it would be the expert in bilingual education course (20 ECTS) or the TEFL or AMET course (6 ECTS)
- Receive a guaranteed monthly allowance, more than enough to live in Spain as a student
- Obtain help opening a bank account
- Participate in a program run by a serious and professional organization
- Have ongoing in-country support from the school's tutor and from Meddeas
- Get initial training and participate in teaching workshops
- Receive a certificate of completion at the end of the program
- Teach children aged two to eighteen. Learners' English levels range from beginner to advanced
- Enjoy paid school holidays (except for the summer period)
- Pay no fees
Meddeas is a Spanish organisation with presence in five countries that supports multilingual teaching in more than 200 educational centres. It offers the opportunity to teach English in Spain through Language Assistant programmes and provides consultancy services. Recent graduates from all the main universities in Ireland/ the UK have already joined our programmes.
Spain receives 63 million tourists every year thanks to its 41 UNESCO World Cultural Heritage Sites. It has a unique, vibrant and welcoming culture. At the same time it is a Western European country with affordable living standards and high personal security levels. At last but not least, learning Spanish will boost you employability.
Desirable candidate profile:
- Native-level English speaker
- No previous teaching experience needed
- Someone who enjoys working with children and/or young people
- Energetic and creative
- Competence in the Spanish language is not required
- No criminal records
Qualifications and experience requirements
- Recent graduates (last four years) or university students or gap years. Any degree.
- Competence in the Spanish language is not required
Accepted degree subjects
Contract and working hours
How to apply
Closing date: 29/12/2017
This job listing will no longer be available on Prospects from 29/12/2017