The application period to be a Language Assistant in a Spanish school with Meddeas is still open. Receive monthly pay, TEFL-related training (paid by the programme), and ongoing in-country support. This is a serious and structured programme with no fees, which enables participants to teach English in Spain and gain international experience.
Don't miss out on our participants' testimonials on the Meddeas Language Assistants' blog. Join us for news and updates on Facebook and Youtube.
- Lodging options: independent housing or full board accommodation with a volunteer host family
- The option of living independently exists too, monthly payment : €880-930 per month
- University course included (compulsory)
- More than 200 schools all over Spain
- Different programmes adapted to the experience and background of the candidate: there is, for example, a specific programme for Education graduates and another one for graduates of all degree subjects
The role of a Language Assistant
During one academic year, participants will teach 20 hours a week in one of the 200 schools Meddeas works with. A Language Assistant is a native-level speaker of English, French or German, who supports the school’s language teachers with conversation practice. The tasks differ from the ones in a teaching assistant role and include encouraging oral practice of the foreign language; explaining the culture of their home country; helping in other subjects such as science, art and P.E.; acting as a role model for correct pronunciation and grammar; and collaborating with teaching staff in creating teaching materials and planning lessons.
After one year teaching English abroad, Language Assistants add transferable skills to their CVs, such as public speaking, language skills, creativity, team working, topic preparation, patience, maturity, autonomy, and cultural awareness.
Main perks of the Programme
- Professional placement in a Spanish school, teaching 20 hours per week
- Certified course given by a Spanish university and paid by the programme. Depending on the programme, it would be the expert in Bilingual Education course (20 ECTS) or the TEFL or AMET course (six ECTS)
- Guaranteed monthly allowance, more than enough to live in Spain as a student
- Health insurance covered by the programme (EU citizens)
- Help opening a bank account
- Programme run by a serious and professional organisation
- Ongoing in-country support from the school’s tutor and from Meddeas
- Initial training and teaching workshops
- Certificate of completion at the end of the programme
- Children aged two to eighteen. Learners' English levels range from beginner to advanced
- Paid school holidays (except for the summer period)
- No fees attached
What we are looking for
- Native-level English speaker
- Someone who enjoys working with children and/or young people
- Energetic and creative
- Competence in the Spanish language is not required
- No criminal records
Desired skills: intercultural skills, cultural awareness, creativity, language skills, team working, public speaking, patience, maturity, autonomy
- Recent graduates (last four years) or last-year university students
- No previous teaching experience needed (but valued)
Accepted degree subjects
How to apply
For the next academic year positions, candidates are encouraged to apply ASAP or at least before the closing date.
Click Apply to start your application now. This job will be available on Prospects until 31/07/2018
Don't forget to mention Prospects to employers when you contact them.
Closing date: Continuous recruitment
Additional job details
€880-930 per month
If you live with a host family you will receive 430-480 per month (it includes full board accommodation)