We are a software company with a difference
If you enjoy devising creative solutions to difficult problems, and want to experience the buzz of working at the forefront of new markets and technologies, then apply to take part in one of our internships.
Join us and you’ll see the effects of your work in how the whole world communicates – with the added bonus of dramatically increasing your marketability to future employers.
Our package highlights
- Challenging work with leading-edge technology.
- Opportunities lasting from eight weeks up to a year - depending on your availability.
- One of only a few companies to offer internships prior to university and to all undergraduates, including first year students.
- No prior experience is necessary.
- We offer a one-stage interview process and a decision within three working days.
- We recruit all year round, but recommend that you apply in the autumn for a summer placement.
- We offer £1,200 per month to pre-university students, and £1,500 per month to undergraduates. If you are returning for a subsequent summer with Metaswitch we will offer you £1,600 per month.
- We offer subsidised accommodation at our Enfield location (which has easy access to central London) as well as in our Edinburgh, Chester, Coventry and Cambridge offices.
Most interns will work in software engineering roles. Software engineering is an exceptionally creative discipline. We are living in a world where people expect more and more from their communications products and network services. As a direct result, network service providers stand at the doorstep of a radical transformation in the way they build and operate communications services. They need your help to move their core network elements off proprietary hardware into a cloud-based, software-centric future. Inspired software engineering affects how these services perform – and how they are experienced by end-users.
What to expect from your internship
Don't think you'll be making tea all day! Your internship will be spent working with some of the smartest engineers around to build and develop flexible and scalable software architectures - the enduring structures that make complex services possible within and between communications networks. With our support you will learn new software languages and programming techniques, enabling you to solve some of the most complex problems the software industry faces.
From day one, you'll work on challenging programming assignments within a team of creative and hard-working professionals. Just as with our new graduate starters, you will be assigned a mentor and a manager, who will give you a high level of support and expert guidance throughout your entire time with us. We have a proven track record of turning bright students, without any prior experience, into productive engineers who go on to make a real and significant contribution to our projects.
Don't forget our hackathons
In addition, we give all of our interns the opportunity to participate in a special summer Metaswitch organised ‘Vacathon’ with the rest of the interns from across our engineering spectrum. This great event gives everybody a chance to swap ideas and show off the skills they have learnt over their summer with us. As well as ensuring that your creative and problem-solving skills have a chance to shine – and win prizes!
Rewards and benefits
We offer competitive salaries to our interns - £1,200 per month to pre-university students, and £1,500 per month to undergraduates. If you are returning for your second summer with Metaswitch we will offer you £1,600 per month.
If you are based in Enfield, we will also offer you the opportunity to take advantage of subsidised accommodation in one of our Company Houses – all within a mile or so of the office. If you are based in one of our other UK or US offices we will help you find subsidised accommodation near to the office in which you are based.
Exceptional interns may be offered a cash bonus at the end of their time with us – and if you are really outstanding, you may even be offered sponsorship through your next year at university.
Like our permanent employees, you will be involved in team and company meetings and morale events. You’ll also have the opportunity to take part in a wide variety of sports and activities – including football, badminton, bridge, board games and tag rugby, to name but a few.
What we are looking for
- A strong academic record.
- An aptitude for understanding and solving complex problems.
- Energy, enthusiasm, versatility and creativity.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- An ability to work for a minimum of eight weeks (and up to a maximum of one year) and a genuine interest in our industry and technology.
You do not need prior computing experience to apply for an internship at Metaswitch. If you have all of the qualities listed above, we would be very interested in hearing from you.
Our internships are available to pre-university students, undergraduates and graduates who are going on to further study.
Accepted degree subjects
Additional job details
- £14,400 - £18,000
- Contract, dates and working times
How to apply
What to expect at your interview. Remember, we want you to succeed.
We are very proud of our swift and professional recruitment process. You will be fully informed on what to expect and how to prepare for each stage. There should be no surprises.
- Everyone you meet will try their best to make you feel at ease, so you can expect an open and friendly reception.
- You will only need to come and see us once before we make a decision.
- We recruit until all of our roles have been filled, which is usually by the end of January each year. The best time to apply is in the Autumn term.
- We offer flexible start dates. Join us when you are ready - our only requirement is that you work for a minimum of eight consecutive weeks.
- You can receive honest feedback on your performance at every stage of your process.
Perfect your technique
For handy tips on how to approach job applications and interviews– click on the links below to download our factsheets with some pointers on how to stand out from the crowd.
- Application forms and CVs
- Tips on interview
- Group exercises and presentations
- Psychometric testing
Click Apply to start your application now. This job will be available on Prospects until 30 November 2020
Don't forget to mention Prospects to employers when you contact them.
Closing date: 30 November 2020