You will be a key member of a small team specialising in complex and high-profile employer and public liability claims arising from the public sector. Based in the City of London, you will have the opportunity to engage with specialist law firms dealing with complex legal issues and the wider insurance run-off community as part of your training programme.
The Trainee Claims Technician is responsible for supporting the Claims Team in respect of varied claims functions, including:
- First notification of loss process - consider new claims notifications (employers’ liability disease and public liability abuse/social care claims), reviewing and investigating historic policy cover (as may be required) and ascertaining scheme status of relevant creditor. Data entry of claims details to the claims management system and allocation of claims to handling organisations. Issuing acknowledgements (as appropriate).
- Claims handling – handling in-house disease (noise induced hearing loss and pleural plaques) claims as part of a development plan and under supervision. This will involve ongoing training, reviewing, understanding and drafting responses to panel firms reports seeking instructions. Completing a trial review when a panel firms seeks authority to attend trial. This review will demonstrate your understanding of a claim and allow the opportunity to provide your recommendations to management on going to trial.
- Regulatory functions – responding to tracing requests from the Employers’ Liability Tracing Office on a weekly basis. Liaising with the regulatory body to ensure the Employers’ Liability Register is accurate.
- Policy cover – completing policy reviews and creating a document called a ‘Policy Cover Sheet’ to present the MMI policy history for clients.
- Payments – entering payments on In-House handled claims for defence costs fees.
In addition, a limited amount of office administrative functions including, opening and sorting inward post, outward post, answering the telephone, scanning, photocopying, filing, workflow data-entry and other tasks as may be reasonably required, as and when required, to support the claims or associated functions of the business.
- Full training, including support for applicant to gain professional (CII) qualifications.
- Personal pension plan: employer contribution 4%, minimum employee contribution is 5%.
- Private health insurance.
- Holidays: 30 days per annum including 4 employer nominated days at Christmas.
- Sick pay: first 26 weeks at full salary to be cumulative in any 12 months’ period.
- Life insurance: four times salary in the event of death whilst in service.
- Income protection cover: applies after 26 weeks of illness preventing work. Cover entitlement of two thirds of salary and pension contributions up to state pension age.
- Working hours: the office is open from 08:00 to 18:00. Contracted hours may be worked flexibly during the office opening hours subject to agreement of your line manager. A daily unpaid lunch break of a minimum of 30 minutes must be taken if you work more than six hours daily.
- Travel to work loan available on request to cover cost of season ticket travel which is deducted from monthly pay.
What we are looking for
- Good organisational skills and the ability to prioritise.
- Good IT skills (MS Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint).
- Good communication skills.
- Professional telephone manner.
- Previous work experience involving dealing with people is useful but not essential.
- Calm under pressure.
- Willingness and ability to learn on-the-job.
- Hard working, eager to learn and develop new skills.
- Ability to take instruction.
- Team player with a flexible, professional attitude.
- Friendly, confident and reliable.
- Ability to protect confidentiality, at all times.
- Ability to self-manage and work independently.
- Minimum of five GCSE grades A*- C (including both maths and English).
- Two or more A’levels (or equivalent): English, maths or law would be an advantage.
- LLB (Hons) degree or Graduate Diploma in Law (or equivalent).
Accepted degree subjects
Additional job details
- London · The role will be mainly office based, but some travel to other UK locations will be involved for auditing, meetings and conferences.
- Contract, dates and working times
How to apply
Click Apply to start your application now. This job will be available on Prospects until 20 April 2021
Don't forget to mention Prospects to employers when you contact them.
Closing date: Continuous recruitment