Change lives. Train to be a Probation Officer.
Help offenders turn their lives around, protect the public – and be supported to gain a professional qualification. Register your interest now for a rewarding, meaningful career.
- You’ll work as a Probation Services Officer while you earn your qualification.
- Visiting prisons and attending courts, you’ll make interventions with offenders that enable them to understand their behaviour and want to change it. You’ll help them bring out their potential to build a more positive future and reduce the chance that they’ll reoffend. And you’ll take pride in helping to make our communities safer places
- Growing your knowledge and skills with a mixture of theory and practical training, you’ll also work with victims of crime, colleagues across the criminal justice system, charities and the wider community. You’ll learn from different situations every day.
- After you’ve qualified, you’ll be able to apply for Qualified Probation Officer positions, giving you opportunities to keep developing and growing your knowledge, and progress through structured career paths.
- The Criminal Justice System
- Understanding Crime and Criminal Behaviour
- Penal Policy and the Punishment of Offenders
- Rehabilitation of Offenders
What we offer
What we are looking for
Our people come from a variety of backgrounds, so there’s no single type of Probation Officer. To join them, you’ll need emotional intelligence, resilience and the ability to stay calm under pressure. You’ll also need to be the kind of person who can build rapport quickly and de-escalate potentially volatile situations. As well as being happy to self-manage, you should have passion for and commitment to your work. Excellent report-writing skills are also a must. Lastly, you should have some experience of working with people who’ve demonstrated challenging behaviour.
To apply, you’ll need a recognised Level 5 qualification or above, such as an honours or foundation degree, a diploma of higher education, a Level 5 vocational qualification or a higher apprenticeship. It doesn’t matter what subject your Level 5 qualification is in. If your application is successful, we’ll assess your previous education in order to offer you the correct length of the programme – as below.
Accepted degree subjects
Additional job details
(plus £3,889 in London) during training once PQiP-certified, your salary rises to £29,038 (plus allowances in London).
How to apply
Register your interest through the 'Apply' button to access invitations to webinars to learn more – plus email notification as soon as application open.
Click Apply to start your application now. This job will be available on Prospects until 14 June 2020
Don't forget to mention Prospects to employers when you contact them.
Closing date: 14 June 2020