Are you an aspiring data engineer looking to apply your rigorous approach to problem solving while broadening your exposure to diverse data science methodologies and data technologies? If so, Nesta is the perfect home for you to develop your skills. Join us as a Junior Python Data Engineer and you will play a key role in piloting a new programme and developing our data production system.
As Junior Python Data Engineer, you will provide a significant infrastructural boost to our data science research programme. We have a highly collaborative work culture and you will work very closely with a growing team of data scientists, data developers and economists to design and deliver data science projects. You will work closely with the Data Developer to help build capacity for doing big data science.
In particular you will:
Productionise data collection and data science processes, including:
- Back-end pipeline development
- Database development
- API development.
Help develop a workable productionisation model by:
- Developing a framework for auditing software
- Documenting productionised code
Some examples of projects that may be productionised are:
- A search engine generator, with associated API and UI
- Scheduled data collections of academic publications, patent applications, meetup groups and funding applications, using APIs and web scraping
- An API for manipulating GIS data
We are committed to developing you and your long term career goals so there will be opportunities for mentoring, peer learning, project learning time and access to a training budget. You will also enjoy a flexible work environment which allows you to work at home one or two days a week.
Fixed-term (six months)
What we are looking for
You’re someone for whom the ‘elegant solution’ is important and you will enjoy putting your Python programming experience to good use. If you have extensive programming experience in other languages we will consider you, as long as you have some experience developing in a UNIX environment.
You will also need to demonstrate experience of at least three of the following:
- Database technologies
- Development and/or management using AWS (EC2, ECS, batch, S3)
- REST API development (preferably with Django or Flask)
- Manipulating data in Pandas or SqlAlchemy
- Good knowledge of Linux architectures and systems
- GIT for version control
A BSc or MSc in a relevant quantitative discipline is desirable, but not essential.
Accepted degree subjects
How to apply
- Applications close at 9am on the closing date
- First stage interviews on 3 August 2018
- Second stage interviews on 10 August 2018
Click Apply to start your application now. This job will be available on Prospects until 27/07/2018
Don't forget to mention Prospects to employers when you contact them.
Closing date: 27/07/2018
Additional job details
|Location||City of London|
|Additional location information||Blackfriars|