Many people think that purchasing is about playing off one supplier against another to achieve the lowest price possible. At Nissan we do things differently. We are concerned about quality first and foremost, which is why we source suppliers who have the capability to achieve the performance standards we require, then work with them to continually reduce costs without compromising standards.
This philosophy forms the basis of your role here with us; building relationships, developing partnerships and improving the way we work together. Whether you are working with components, facilities or service contracts, the philosophy is the same.
The pace is fast to say the least. You’ll have several projects ongoing at any one time, involvement in data and cost analyses for future activities, supplier visits and continual liaison with internal departments. This is why you’ll need to be flexible, adaptable and full of energy. You’ll also need to display credibility, professionalism, commercial awareness, long term vision and the ability to think on your feet. All graduates will receive comprehensive training and support and will be allocated an experienced mentor from day one.
Roles and responsibilities
- Relationship management – building effective internal and external relationships within the company and with suppliers
- Working in collaboration with the global Purchasing functions in locations such as Paris, Spain, Japan, North America and China to ensure effective supplier selection decision making, via the Request for Quotation process
- Investigation of new supply markets and opportunities, including travel to assess supplier’s capability
- Identification and implementation of innovative commercial and technical cost reduction ideas to achieve high cost reduction targets
- Accurate maintenance and monthly reporting of cost reports to support department objectives
- Maintaining databases to track cost status and mainframe systems for purchase order maintenance
Nissan Motor Manufacturing Ltd (NMUK) is one of the biggest car production plants in the UK. Our incredible location in the North East of England gives us access not only to some of the best workforces in the UK but also direct, international transport links through the Port of Tyne. This enviable combination means we can ship 9,000 cars a week from of our world-leading manufacturing facility.
Nissan Sunderland plant is responsible for production of the Qashqui, Juke, Leaf and Infiniti Q30 models. We produce around 500,000 vehicles a year and export to over 130 international markets. All of this is made possible for our permanent workforce of over 6,700 people, with support from additional contractors and suppliers.
- Strong analytical skills and a data-driven thinker
- Excellent communication and team working skills
- Numerate with strong analytical skills and an ability to demonstrate negotiation skills
- Creative and forward thinking
- Strong planning skills
- Ability to adapt to a fast-paced organisation
- Excellent working knowledge of MS Office applications
- Geographically mobile
Qualifications and experience requirements
- Must have or are expected to gain at least a 2.1 in any degree discipline
- You must have permission to live and work in the UK without restriction at the time of hire
Accepted degree subjects
economics · marketing and advertising studies · business and management studies · accounting and finance
£30,476 - £37,113
company pension programme, private healthcare, car leasing scheme, car ownership scheme, fitness centre, sports and leisure complex, 26 days’ annual leave plus bank holidays, paid overtime, share scheme
Contract and working hours
How to apply
Number of vacancies: 30+
Closing date: 31/12/2017
This job listing will no longer be available on Prospects from 31/12/2017