Become part of the team
We work with clients who want to gain a commercial edge by using new technologies in both new and established markets. The Applied Sciences team uses fundamental science to support early stage and proof of concept projects, ultimately answering the question, “Is this possible?” For this we need scientists, with a background in materials science, physics, chemistry, or biomedical engineering who want to go further than just ask the questions, but actually want to go from building prototypes to working with engineering teams to bring new products to market.
- We translate science and technology into commercially viable break-out products and processes
- We give our clients a true competitive edge by providing the data to make rational product development decisions
- We do this by the practical application of applied fundamental science to prototype, characterise and explore technology
Do you get excited about working out how to peel pineapples moving at 6 metres per second? Do you want to build a machine to cool a can of beer to -2°C in less than 10 seconds? Can you put together an experiment to measure the electrical impedance of human skin in an afternoon?
We're looking for ‘hands on’ scientists that like nothing better than finding new ways of solving problems to provide a competitive edge for our client base across exciting industries like medtech, consumer electronics, defence, communications, FMCG and more.
This is a rare opportunity to work at the intersection of technical feasibility, business viability and consumer desirability. The range of work performed at the Global Innovation and Technology Centre is diverse and includes building models of complex physical systems to understand expected performance, creatively identifying new ways to solve technical challenges, designing and building experimental setups to test hypotheses and transferring this knowledge all the way through to product and process launches.
- Private medical insurance
- Travel allowance
- 25 days annual leave with the opportunity to buy five additional days
- Company pension scheme
- Annual performance-based bonus
- Life and Income protection insurance
- Tax efficient benefits (cycle to work, give as you earn)
- Additional optional benefits (Dental, critical illness, spouse/partner life assurance)
This is an exciting opportunity to apply science in situations which will ultimately lead to real-world innovations.
What we are looking for
The Applied Science group is looking for a graduate scientist with a background in a physical science or biomedical engineering and an interest in solving complex technology challenges. You should combine a strong theoretical and experimental background, ideally, coupled with some industrial exposure.
You should be:
- Able to demonstrate a creative approach to problem solving
- Excited to learn new technical skills and rapidly acquire domain expertise
- Comfortable working in a hands-on lab setting and performing desk-based research or modelling
- Interested in the cutting edge of science and technology and have a desire to apply these advances in practical applications
In addition, the following will also be beneficial but not essential:
- Practical industry experience in a research and development role
- A Master’s degree in a physical science
On track for a 2:1 in a physical science, such as physics, chemistry, material science, or biomedical engineering, or related
Accepted degree subjects
Additional job details
- Competitive salary
- Contract, dates and working times
How to apply
Click Apply to start your application now. This job will be available on Prospects until 31 August 2021
Don't forget to mention Prospects to employers when you contact them.
Closing date: Continuous recruitment