The role of Pod Volunteer Specialist offers a unique and exciting opportunity to join the Pod Volunteer team, supporting volunteers joining our projects around the world. We are looking for a motivated individual with a desire to work to a high standard within our award winning and ethical volunteering organisation.
The Pod Volunteer Specialist's role is to recruit, support and manage volunteers, providing a high level of service throughout the volunteer process, from initial enquiry through to receiving feedback post placement. You will be responsible for a range of Pod Volunteer projects which you will manage, update and promote.
The role will also involve assisting in marketing and other roles within the Pod team.
- Answering enquiry emails and phone calls
- Processing volunteer applications
- Matching volunteers to suitable projects
- Communicating with volunteers, which may include interviewing, taking references and organising criminal record checks
- Communicating with overseas staff and projects to manage the volunteer placements
- Processing volunteer payments
- Supporting and managing volunteers before they depart and whilst on placement
- Gaining feedback from volunteers
- Resolving any issues
- Maintaining the Pod Volunteer database, online booking and availability documents
- Producing and reviewing website content and photos
- Producing and reviewing volunteering and trip planning guides and other documentation
- Maintaining risk assessments and emergency contacts
- Communicating with projects and overseas staff on a regular basis
- Processing invoices
- Visiting projects
- Reviewing projects
- Identifying areas for improvement and resolving any issues
- Assisting with the development / set up of new projects
- Publishing project updates through blogs and social media
- Contributing to and reviewing all aspects of our website
- Producing / contributing to our newsletter
- Maintaining and managing our presence on referral websites
- Maintaining and developing our social media presence
- Responding to media enquiries
- Attending events / fairs / talks
- Contributing to marketing reviews
- Other roles depending on skills and experience
- Administration – office, finance, IT
- Assisting with specific ad hoc projects as required
- Maintaining strong relationships with suppliers and partners
- Contributing to campaigning and industry developments
- Involvement in Pod charity fundraising and events
- Developing skills to meet the needs of the team and involvement in other roles depending on interests, skills and experience
Starting holiday: 23 days paid holiday per year. Increases by an additional day’s holiday for each year worked, up to a maximum of 30 days a year.
Flexible working: early start / late finish flexi-time is allowed twice per week.
Overseas travel: as part of the role, Pod Volunteer Specialists undertake overseas travel to visit projects. This is normally one trip within the first year, then on average one trip every 18 months. Each trip is one-three weeks in duration and up to five days of personal holiday can be added on as long the total trip isn't more than three working weeks.
What we are looking for
- Passion for and experience of overseas travel / volunteering
- Excellent communication skills (written and spoken)
- Strong organisational and time management skills
- Attention to detail
- IT skills – Microsoft Word and Excel
- Strong sense of ethics
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Ability to self-manage and show initiative
- Ability to work in an open plan office and fit into a small team
Would be an advantage
- Previous travel to Pod Volunteer locations
- Experience in an office environment
Accepted degree subjects
Additional job details
salary made up of £16,680 salary plus £320 pension (through our workplace pension scheme).
How to apply
Please send us via the Apply button.
- Your CV
- A covering letter / email explaining why you would like to join Pod Volunteer and how your skills and experience are suited to the role
Applications should be submitted by 9.30am on closing date.
Interviews will be held in September/October and we plan for the new team member to join us in November.
Click Apply to start your application now. This job will be available on Prospects until 23 September 2019
Don't forget to mention Prospects to employers when you contact them.
Closing date: 23 September 2019