Why join the Police Now National Detective Programme?
The challenge is unique. The environment is fast-paced. The mission is vital. Detectives play a pivotal role in the Police Force by investigating, problem solving and collaborating to reduce crime and make communities safer and better places to live.
You’ll develop your negotiation, problem-solving, decision-making, emotional intelligence, resilience and leadership skills. All invaluable in targeting criminals and increasing public confidence. And skills that will allow you to progress throughout your career in whatever direction you take it.
Join our National Detective Programme and you can make a difference to society, today.
Why Police Now?
Police Now recruits and trains outstanding graduates, so they can help transform society as police detectives.
You don’t need to have any previous knowledge or experience in policing. What we are looking for is graduates with two years’ professional experience to become leaders in society and in policing, representing the diversity of the communities you serve.
To enhance your training, you will be allocated a Leadership Development Officer to help support you throughout the two years. You will also have regular opportunities to present the impact you have made in your community to policing colleagues and corporate partners.
If your application is successful, you will secure a place on our two-year programme that starts with a 12-week academy in September 2019, which will equip you with all the knowledge and skills needed to be a success.
From the beginning of your journey with us, you will receive high-intensity tutoring and mentoring from detectives in the force to help you achieve operational competence. In addition to this you will also benefit from support from leadership development officers who will help you to maximise your impact and develop your leadership skills.
Find out more
You can learn more about the Detective programme on our website where you can also:
- Ask one of our Police Now Insiders a question
- Read advice and tips to help you with your application
- Be supported by a digital mentor through our application process
- Get advice and tips to help you with your application
What we are looking for
Are you well suited for the programme?
You don’t need any previous policing knowledge or experience. All we ask is that you have two years’ professional experience in any sector so that you have the foundations to go on and become a leader in society.
- Thrive under pressure taking a positive attitude when overcoming challenges?
- React instinctively when presented with new information or changes that impact your work?
- Develop and nurture meaningful relationships with a variety of people, taking the time to see things from another perspective?
- Feel confident adapting your communication style to suit your audience?
- Take a methodological approach to solving complex problems, considering all eventualities and risks?
- Ensure that you have gathered sufficient information needed to make an informed opinion?
If this sounds like you then you are the talented and driven individual we are looking for and we believe you have the potential to become a successful police detective.
What we’ll be looking for:
- At various stages during the recruitment and selection process we will look for evidence of the following values and behaviours:
- Empathic connectors: meaningful relationships with a variety of people, allowing you to communicate and persuade effectively
- Investigative mindset: a methodical approach to solving complex problems, considering all eventualities and risks
- Clear communicators: a clear and effective style of communication, both verbal and written
- Credible authority: instil confidence and trust in others through the quality of your knowledge, skills, presence and professionalism
- Organised: manage your time highly effectively, and deliver in all situations
- Innovative and open minded: open to learning and feedback, always striving to improve and develop
- Resilient: work well under pressure and in the face of change, with a determined and positive attitude to overcoming obstacles
- Committed to delivering results: often outside your comfort zone, you push yourself hard, using your initiative to get positive results
Accepted degree subjects
How to apply
Positions will be available at the following police forces:
- Avon and Somerset Constabulary
- Cambridgeshire Constabulary
- Greater Manchester Police
- North Wales Police
- South Wales Police
- Staffordshire Police
- Warwickshire Police
- West Mercia Police
We are delighted that you are considering applying, and are engaged with our mission to transform communities, reduce crime and increase the public’s confidence in policing.
We are recruiting for new police officers only and you should not apply to our programme if you’re looking to transfer between police forces or return to policing. You can only apply to one Police Now programme per intake year and therefore if you have already applied to our 2019 Neighbourhood programme you would not be eligible for our Detective programme.
Good luck with your application.
Click Apply to start your application now. This job will be available on Prospects until 30/04/2019
Don't forget to mention Prospects to employers when you contact them.
Closing date: 30/04/2019
Additional job details