Interested in working for Forbes #1 Technology Employer in the UK?
At RBI Data Scientists use their advanced data skills to provide internal and external business analysis, delivering operational insights to the RBI business units and market intelligence to our customers in industries such as energy, aviation, agriculture, and finance. As a Data Scientist you will generate new insights from proprietary and external sets of data by applying a range of definitions, calculations, and data manipulations to provide deeper insight into the data; you will also work with various stakeholders around the business units on a broad range of complex initiatives, including data visualisations, fuzzy logic mapping, forecasting models, and various highly-customised data queries.
Successful applicants to the RBI Data Scientist Graduate programme will spend two years learning and working in our various markets. During the course of the programme you will gain valuable experience through practical application in the following data science specialisms, actively using your learning to build data science capability within RBI businesses:
Getting and cleaning data
Obtaining data from various sources (web, APIs, colleagues) in various formats, then cleaning and normalising.
Exploratory data analysis
Performing initial summarisations on data sets, typically applied before formal model in order to inform how best to proceed in a more industrial way.
Drawing conclusions by identifying properties within a data set / sets through data analysis, then subsequently inferring additional values by exercising hypotheses.
Investigation of relationships between values, typically with the intention of establishing the causal effect of one variable on another.
Practical machine learning
Application of predictive functions with an emphasis on practical applications.
Developing data products
Automating complex analysis tasks through the use of technology to expand the utility of a data model, inference, or algorithm.
What makes us better than the rest?
There are all sorts of graduate roles out there but we are confident that few (if any) can match the combination of benefits that we offer; here are a few examples:
- Training: In addition to formal technical training we offer extensive soft-skills training and an on-going mentoring program. We also offer bespoke tech and soft-skills sessions to allow you to really fulfil your potential
- Global Reach: Whichever discipline you choose to follow you will be working on an international scale. We want our graduates to understand not just their own function, but also how a global business operates and interacts
- Work-life balance: It’s a well-known fact that commercial life can be stressful but we want you to enjoy yourself and to be happy and relaxed in your work. This doesn’t mean that you won’t be ‘stretched’ and encouraged, it simply means that we know that balance is important
- Culture/Social: It’s not all about work, we also encourage a strong social side to working here right through from graduate drinks and dinner get-togethers to our annual end-of-year extravaganza. We also run a variety of charity groups and encourage everybody to get involved – we even give you two extra ‘charity days’ each year on top of 29 days holiday
- Structured career planning: Feedback tells us that a lot of graduate schemes start off promisingly but then peter-out with grads left with little idea of what’s ahead or the training to allow them to progress. We have a dedicated two-year fast-track programme designed to facilitate fast learning and development with regular training and coaching sessions and frequent pay-reviews
There are also a raft of secondary benefits available and AIP (bonus), car allowance, and medical benefits available at more senior levels within the business.
And what about your career after the scheme finishes?
Career development is a big thing for us and we take out PDP (personal development plan) process very seriously; we want you to learn and progress quickly in the direction you want to go and we’ll provide you with the training and support to achieve that at the right pace. The great thing about us career-wise is that we’re a company made up of leading online businesses so you can develop in three dimensions, vertically through the business, across different brands, and across different functions (if you fancy a change). We’re also an increasingly global business and are often able to offer overseas opportunities either as secondments or on a permanent basis.
RBI is a global business and we provide vital information, analytics and data solutions to our customers across the globe. We have offices in London, Amsterdam, New York, Chicago, Paris, Shanghai, Dubai and Singapore – to name just a few.
We’re a technology business with a passion for innovation and product development, and we work closely with our customers to grow their businesses, so we’re looking for people who want to grow too. We never stand still.
We’re also part of RELX Group, a FTSE-100 company and a world-leading provider of information and analytics to a huge range of industries. With over 28,000 employees in over 30 countries, and revenues approaching $10 billion, there’s a lot of opportunity for you to succeed.
Forbes have recently placed RELX as the UK’s #1 technology employer and #53 in their ‘World’s best Employers’ list.
RBI is very supportive of women in Technology and has been a founding signature for the Tech Talent Charter. Currently 24% of our Technology workforce are women which is much higher than the UK average of 17%. We have the following initiatives in place to support women in technology:
• Mentoring scheme for women in technology
• Women’s network forum
• Regularly run events for schools girl about careers in technology to inspire the next generation of girls in tech
RBI proudly support the Tech Talent Charter.
- You should have a natural passion for technology and a desire to learn and progress quickly
- You must be a strong communicator with well-formed interpersonal skills
Qualifications and experience requirements
- First and foremost you should be a 2017/2018 graduate
- You should have achieved or be expecting a 2:1 or better in computer science, mathematical sciences, or a related data and analytics related degree subject
Accepted degree subjects
physics · mathematics · computer sciences and IT
£26,000 + package
Extensive training, 29 days holiday, two paid charity days, SAYE share options scheme, pension, life assurance
Contract and working hours
Permanent · Full-time
How to apply
Number of vacancies: Five
- Please submit your CV and covering letter to Charles Hide via the Apply button for consideration, or if you would like to have a chat first then please contact Charles on 0208 652 8190.
- The selection process will involve a telephone interview and a group assessment day to be held in March 2018.
- The start date for these roles will be September 2018.
Closing date: 31/03/2018
This job listing will no longer be available on Prospects from 31/03/2018