We are offering six outstanding graduate opportunities for 2017. Successful individuals will be given the opportunity to spend three years gaining experience in a multi-national finance team. Candidates will rotate across three 9-12 month placements and one three-month placement to ensure they gain a broad knowledge of the market segments in which RELX operates before developing their career longer-term in their chosen function.
As part of the programme we will expect you to study for a professional accountancy qualification (ICAEW or CIMA) and complete the associate professional exams within the three years. Study leave and tuition support will be provided.
The placements will also provide a mix of experiences across the different components of a large finance organisation:
- Financial planning and analysis – identifying key trends in data, presenting financial results to convey key messages and support internal and external reporting.
- Financial accounting – managing core financial controls and preparation of consolidated Group Accounts and statutory reporting. Establishing the core accounting technical skills and knowledge.
- Management accounting – support the business leaders to track the performance of their markets with sound and insightful data and analysis, helping them to make risk and fact based decision making. This requires the support finance team to gain a deep commercial understanding of the products and markets they are supporting.
- Investment reviews – preparing data and financial modelling for assessment of both organic and M&A investments to ensure capital is invested wisely and delivers appropriate returns.
- Budgeting and forecasting – utilise multiple data sets and input from various stakeholders to assist and build reliable and flexible forward looking forecasts (short, mid and long term).
- Monthly reporting and consolidation – preparation and review of monthly reports for various stakeholders
- Transaction services – gain an understanding of managing and collecting debts, back office processing and controls of payments and procurement
- Ad hoc experience in other specialist functions such as tax, treasury and corporate finance
- Working across a range of our businesses and finance functions will provide experience of financial reporting, planning and control tools
The placements will be based at our major sites in the Greater London area (Richmond, Farringdon, London Wall, and Sutton), so you will need to be able to commute to different locations over the three-year trainee programme.
During the course of your three-year training programme you will be provided with regular feedback on progress, successes and development areas to ensure your continuous progress and development remains on track.
Career development is a big thing for us and we take our PDP (personal development plan) process very seriously; we want you to learn and progress quickly in the direction you want to go and we will provide you with the training and support to achieve that at the right pace. The great thing about RELX career-wise is that we’re a business made up of leading providers of information and analytics for a wide array of customer and markets. This breath will enable you to develop in three dimensions: vertically through the business, across different products/markets, and across different functions within finance. We’re also a global business and are often able to offer overseas opportunities either as secondments or on a permanent basis.
General RELX Benefits Package:
- £27,000 starting salary and regular incremental progression as experience and professional qualification progresses
- 25 days holiday per year
- Additional study / exam days leave
- Full support for professional institute fees (ICAEW or CIMA), exam entry fees (1st attempt). Core learning materials and external tuition fees for external course provider for taught and revision elements of each stage of your professional qualification
- Group pension scheme
- Paid charity days – two days per year
- Save As You Earn Scheme
RELX Group is a global provider of information and analytics for professional and business customers across a broad range of industries globally. We help scientists make new discoveries, lawyers win cases, doctors save lives and insurance companies offer customers lower prices. We save taxpayers and consumers money by preventing fraud and help executives forge commercial relationships with their clients.
Our goal is to help our customers make better decisions, get better results and be more productive. We do this by leveraging a deep understanding of our customers to create innovative solutions which combine content and data with analytics and technology in global platforms. These solutions often account for about 1% of our customers’ total cost base but can have a significant and positive impact on the economics of the remaining 99%.
The Group serves customers in more than 180 countries and has offices in c.40 countries. It employs approximately 30,000 people of whom half are in North America. RELX PLC is a FTSE100 company with annual group revenue of £6BN (2015).
We operate in four major market segments: Scientific, Technical and Medical; Risk and Business Analytics; Legal; and Exhibitions.
Finance roles interact with a vast selection of individuals and functions across the business, hence we need strong communicators, with the ability listen to and digest differing opinions and data. High quality businesses continue to evolve and innovate and these roles will suit someone who is adept at change and able to drive continuous improvement in whatever role, task or project they are supporting:
- Excellent analytical skills
- Proven ability to perform self-review with strong attention to detail and thoroughness
- Strong communication skills (both oral and written)
- Computer literate with strong Excel skills
- Team player
- Ability to work well under pressure
- Proactively challenging the status quo and initiating change
- Ability to multi-task and prioritise workflow around tight deadlines
Qualifications and experience requirements
We are looking for high quality individuals who have graduated in the last one-two years and who have a proven track record of delivering excellent and consistent results. A finance, accounting or business degree would be preferable, but where an individual demonstrates an aptitude for learning and strong basic analytical / problem solving skills, the combination of on the job training together with studying towards a professions accountancy qualification will enable the right person to succeed.
Accepted degree subjects
economics · mathematics · chemical engineering · business and management studies · accounting and finance · languages
London · Surrey
Contract and working hours
Permanent · Full-time
How to apply
Number of vacancies: Six
- Please submit your CV and covering letter via the apply now button for consideration or if you would like to have a chat first then please contact Charles Hide on 0208 652 8190.
- The selection process will involve a telephone interview and a group assessment day.
- The start date for these roles will be September 2017.
Closing date: Continuous recruitment
This job listing will no longer be available on Prospects from 21/09/2017