Generally, work is based around a PHP framework or a CMS/eCommerce system that is built in PHP. You would be working as part of a larger systems web development team to assist on all aspects of tackling complex problems. Typical day to day activities could include:
- Identifying problems in the code, and thinking about them in a critical way
- Re-framing the problem to come up with technical solutions
- Assisting in the building of brand new systems from the ground up
- Working on projects using open source software, such as Processwire or Shopware
What are all the practical details?
- Company benefits: free office snacks, quarterly lunches, training budget
- COVID start details: initially, you would be working from home (due to COVID). However, the office is still available, and post-COVID, you will have the option to continue to work remotely or to work from the office.
- Transport and parking: tram, train and bus services operate to nearby the office, and there is parking available nearby
- Start date: April 2021
Castus is a web design and development studio that concentrates on quality output and a great service for its clients. Their primary output revolves around ecommerce web sites, web applications and brochure web sites. They have built systems from the ground up that handle up to £130 million in annual revenue and 20 million page views per year. Their customers range from small businesses to PLCs. They are a forward-thinking, progressive agency that is always challenging itself to do better, with a relaxed and friendly environment – there are regular team lunches and after work socialising (pre-COVID). Based in the centre of Sheffield, the business has modern equipment, a collaborative approach to working and a real focus on quality.
The business is small (14 people) and is predominantly made up of developers, with over 50% of all staff on the development/technical side. They have created an environment to suit this, allowing developers to concentrate on the task at hand without lots of small distractions. You are encouraged to share your learnings and feedback on working patterns, regardless of your position within the business. The business and its staff adopt a can-do attitude, with a strong emphasis on exploring all options before dismissing an idea or solution. The business is looking for someone with a keen interest in web-development (including those who are self-taught) to join and grow with the team.
What we are looking for
- Able to demonstrate a keen interest in web development
- A critical, logical thinker who questions what’s put in front of them
- Able to come up with fresh ways of tackling problems
- Able to logically break down a task and implement the solution
- An excellent communicator, both written and verbally
- Someone who enjoys collaboration with others, particularly at monthly developer meetings to share ideas and best practice
- Experience of Object Oriented Programming, e.g. php/ruby/.net
- Database familiarity SQL/MySQL
- Familiarity with HTML/CSS/JS/SASS/Gulp etc
A graduate from any discipline, though related degrees and STEM subjects particularly welcomed
Accepted degree subjects
Additional job details
- £20,000 - £23,000
- Contract, dates and working times
How to apply
Click Apply to start your application now. This job will be available on Prospects until 7 March 2021
Don't forget to mention Prospects to employers when you contact them.
Closing date: 7 March 2021