Inspire the next generation of scientists. Teach chemistry.
We are offering up to 140 Teacher Training Scholarships to the very best graduates entering chemistry teacher training in September 2018.
In addition to £28,000 tax-free funding from the Department of Education each of our scholars also receives:
- mentoring by an expert chemistry teacher
- free classroom materials including books, posters and a lab coat
- chemistry specific training meetings with other scholars
- free online courses on key concepts in teaching chemistry
- opportunities to represent the Royal Society of Chemistry, and membership to the Royal Society of Chemistry for two years, which encompasses a range of additional relevant benefits.
What we are looking for
- an excellent understanding of chemistry at school level which is assessed through the online application process tests
- a passion for chemistry and teaching
- an excellent ability to explain complex chemistry ideas at school level
- the empathy, respect and humility needed to relate well to pupils
- relevant experience and an interest in working with school-age young people
- excellent verbal communication skills and an ability to interact with others
- an understanding of the importance of chemistry education in the UK
- the personal attributes that will make a good classroom teacher and manager
- a passion for the importance of chemistry education in the UK
- a realistic understanding of teaching as a career
- a desire to teach in England, once qualified.
- intend to take up a training place on a secondary teaching course that leads to QTS (pre-16)
- hold a chemistry or related degree with a proven or predicted grade of a 2:1 or above (if you have a 2:2 your application will be considered if you can demonstrate significant relevant experience/subject knowledge),
- or hold a relevant PhD or Master’s degree or recognised equivalent,
- or have completed a subject knowledge enhancement course in chemistry before September 2018
- enrol on a university-led or school-led (fee based, non-salaried) Chemistry ITT course in England for the 2018/19 academic year
- meet the bursary eligibility criteria as set out in the National College for Teaching and Leadership’s bursary guidance.
- be classified as a ‘Home’ student. Refer to the UKCISA website for full details
- be eligible to draw down a tuition fee loan from the Student Loans Company
- have not previously applied for a scholarship in the same academic year
Accepted degree subjects
How to apply
To find out more, or start your application, visit our website.
Click Apply to start your application now. This job will be available on Prospects until 31/07/2018
Don't forget to mention Prospects to employers when you contact them.
Closing date: 31/07/2018
Additional job details
|Location||East Midlands, East of England, London, North East England, North West England, South East England, South West England, West Midlands, Yorkshire and the Humber|