If you’re passionate about chemistry and inspiring the next generation then we would love to help you on your way to becoming an inspirational chemistry teacher. One way that we are doing that is awarding £28,000 tax-free funding to talented individuals entering chemistry teacher training in England.
Teaching is an exciting, challenging and hugely rewarding career. No two days will ever be the same, but every day you’ll be sharing your passion for science and making a real difference to children and young people. It won’t always be easy, your patience and determination will both be tested, but if you become one of our scholars then we will support you through your training and beyond, with a range of fantastic benefits, as you grow into the excellent teacher we believe you can become.
We are offering up to 130 Teacher Training Scholarships to the very best graduates entering chemistry teacher training in September 2019.
In addition to £28,000 tax-free funding from the Department of Education each of our scholars also receives:
- Mentoring by an expert chemistry teacher
- Free classroom materials including books, posters and a lab coat
- Meetings with other scholars from their region
- Free online CPD courses focused on active learning in chemistry
They also get free membership of the Royal Society of Chemistry for two years, which includes:
- Education in Chemistry bimonthly magazine, with news, reviews and opinions written by teachers for teachers
- Access to Talk Chemistry, our online forum for teachers to share lesson plans, innovative resources and teaching ideas
- Access to national and regional networks for chemistry teachers and trainee teachers
- Up to a third off books from top scientific publishers
Starting: September 2019.
What we are looking for
If you are not sure that you have suitable subject knowledge to apply for secondary chemistry teacher training in England, you might be able to improve your knowledge through a Subject Knowledge Enhancement (SKE) course.
An excellent understanding of chemistry at school level. Scholarships will be awarded to talented individuals who impress us during a two-step application process.
Scholarships are available to graduates with at least a 2:2 degree.
Accepted degree subjects
- health sciences
- chemical engineering
- pharmacy and pharmacology
- environmental science and ecology
How to apply
You can apply before or after you have secured your teacher training place but we strongly recommend you submit your application as soon as possible. Before you apply please check that you match our eligibility criteria. If your online application is successful you will be invited to attend an assessment day in London.
The assessment days consist of:
- A one-hour individual interview
- A group exercise
- A chemistry knowledge test
If you are successful in securing a scholarship, you will be notified as soon as possible after the assessment day.
We run a rolling application process, with application deadlines staggered throughout the academic year. Each application deadline is followed by an assessment day for successful candidates (See a list here for our deadlines and assessment days).
Click Apply to start your application now. This job will be available on Prospects until 28/07/2019
Don't forget to mention Prospects to employers when you contact them.
Closing date: 28/07/2019
Additional job details
|Number of vacancies||130|