The RSPB Reserve Visitor Experience Internship scheme is designed to provide the experience, training, skills and knowledge required to pursue a career in conservation by gaining a wide range of experience in the visitor operations side of reserves.
Our reserves are important havens for a huge range of species, and special spaces for our visitors to get closer to nature, and we want you to be a part of our team delivering this whilst you are gaining the experience to start your career in conservation. Delivering a great visitor experience is a growing and vital part of our work, and will play a key role in our Saving Nature strategy and you can be part of this.
We currently have Visitor Experience internship places available in our Northern England, Midlands and Eastern England regions, and in Scotland. Please see information page for details.
As well as providing lots of opportunities to gain first-hand experience, we will assist your personal development and progression. A wide range of opportunities will arise during your placement giving you the chance to learn new skills, gain new experiences and increase your conservation knowledge.
We will offer you:
- Experience of planning, delivering and promoting events
- Specialist experience of delivering a stunning visitor experience at one of our most popular sites
- Training in first aid, safeguarding, volunteer management, social media and marketing as appropriate
- Excellent all-round experience of working in a team on a RSPB nature reserve
- Experience of supervising other volunteers
- A personal development plan and monthly one-to-ones will keep your development on track
- A regional induction, a site induction and the opportunity to attend relevant regional and national training as appropriate.
- Accommodation (all bills also covered, apart from food) at or close to the reserve
- Training on CV writing and interview techniques
- Access to our internal vacancies during your internship
- A reference on successful completion of your internship
- A dedicated mentor will monitor your progress and help with personal development throughout the internship.
The RSPB speaks out for birds and wildlife, tackling the problems that threaten our environment. We rely upon memberships and donations to fund our work. By volunteering your time and skills, you could make a real difference to the work of the RSPB. Nature is amazing • help us keep it that way.
Our internships are designed to offer work experience. However, doing an internship does not, unfortunately, guarantee future employment with the RSPB. Interns are welcome to apply for our paid vacancies, but for obvious reasons, an intern would need to have proven themselves in their current role before their volunteering experience will assist an application for a paid post.
Good people and communication skills and an approachable personality are essential for this role, as is the ability to work as part of a small team. You will also be adaptable, self-motivated and ready to turn your hand to the multitude of different tasks required on a nature reserve. Specialist knowledge is not necessary, but an enthusiasm for wildlife and an interest in conservation is.
Accepted degree subjects
Contract and working hours
How to apply
Closing date: 08/01/2018
This job listing will no longer be available on Prospects from 29/12/2017