Successful applicants will be involved in the following ground breaking shark research projects:
- Collect data aboard our cage diving vessel and research vessel pertaining to Great White Sharks, which contributes towards our white shark dorsal fin identification study and growth rate study, and is analyzed to enhance our understanding of the populations of these enigmatic creatures
- Join catch and release surveys on our research vessel and learn how to ethically catch, tag, measure, genetically sample and release the smaller sharks along our coastline, many of which are data deficient
- Learn about the Great White Shark and other shark species and, in turn, educate clients on board our cage diving vessel about these incredible creatures, with the aim of shifting negative perceptions and enlightening the public about their beauty and the critical role they play in maintaining the health of our oceans
- Learn how to deploy baited remote underwater video systems (BRUVs) and how to analyze the videos collected
- Participate in beach clean-ups and community education initiatives
Our research assistants do not partake in any menial labour. Our programme is heavily focused on research, education, conservation and of course adventure.
For your days off, there are a myriad of exciting excursions to choose from - from horse riding on the beach to fat biking on the sand dunes, hiking trails in our local mountain range and a visit to our local big cat sanctuary - plus loads more!
Our accommodation is a fully kitted home away from home overlooking our beautiful bay and close walking distance from our harbor and launch site. It has all the creature comforts to soothe tired bodies returning from a hard day at sea - WIFI, full satellite TV, cleaning service, entertainment area etc. We provide two meals a day as well as a welcoming and farewell BBQ.
Starting: First and 15th of every month with the exception of the 15 December to the 15 January when we close.
What we are looking for
A moderate level of fitness helps, as well as being able to swim. A passion for ocean and shark conservation and the desire to learn.
No formal qualifications are needed to join our research team.
Accepted degree subjects
How to apply
Please allow 24 hours to process your application.
Click Apply to start your application now. This job will be available on Prospects until 22/03/2020
Don't forget to mention Prospects to employers when you contact them.
Closing date: Continuous recruitment
Additional job details
|Number of vacancies||11|
|Additional location information||Gaansbaai|
Two meals a day and some dinners. All transport for project related activities and excursions