Sumdog are world leaders in the edtech space. We are breaking new ground and changing the way education works globally but we can't maintain our momentum unless we recruit the brightest and best talent. We are looking for students and recent graduates from well respected universities in all years.
We have an exciting opportunity for students to work part-time during the university semester in one of our development teams. This part-time work would commence as soon as possible and we would have a strong preference of a full-time commitment over the summer.
Not based in Edinburgh? No problem. Apply to join our team full time over the summer, working with some of the best developers in Edinburgh.
What you will be doing:
You will be embedded with one of our cross-functional development teams. You will work closely with our experienced and talented developers, in an Agile environment, to deliver the team's goals. You will be assigned a mentor, who will help to guide you through our code-base and work practices, and you will gain a very real insight into the excitement and rewards that come with working for a small, fast moving company. Your work will form part of the Sumdog website and has the potential to make a very real difference to the attainment gap both in the UK and the US.
What we offer
First and foremost, you will gain an incredible experience that will set you apart from your peers and give you a solid platform for your future career.
- Competitive salary based on your skills and experience.
- Three weeks holiday over the summer.
- Excellent work environment in central Edinburgh.
- Continuous learning and mentoring.
- Dependent on performance, the possibility of long-term part-time semester work, and full-time employment after graduation.
Sumdog is an online evidence-based maths and English learning service used by tens of thousands of schools and millions of children worldwide. We are leaders when it comes to engagement and one of a handful of companies that are revolutionising education by tailoring questions to student ability. Our students are working hard at mastering questions that are appropriate to their level. The results are spectacular. Recent research shows primary school students that use our product regularly, progress two times faster than those that don't.
Sumdog is a small but rapidly growing company that has just received a substantial investment from Nesta and Scottish Enterprise. Our mission is to close the attainment gap, by helping all children reach their full potential.
- Strong programming ability
Qualifications and experience requirements
- Strong programming ability in an object-oriented language, such as Java or C++.
- Ability to write clean, maintainable code.
- Exemplary academic record with at least a 2:1 average.
- Good verbal communication skills and ability to work in a team.
- Drive to succeed through hard work.
- Ability to learn and adapt to quickly changing requirements.
- Experience using version control and project management tools.
Accepted degree subjects
physics · agricultural sciences · economics · food sciences · architecture · mathematics · chemical engineering · geology and geographical science · chemistry · accounting and finance · sports science · health sciences · biology and life sciences · materials science · computer sciences and IT · pharmacy and pharmacology · electronic and electrical engineering · engineering management · civil engineering and construction · law and legal studies
Edinburgh and East Central Scotland
Contract and working hours
Temporary · Part-time
How to apply
Closing date: 18/12/2017
This job listing will no longer be available on Prospects from 18/12/2017