Come and work for a company enabling the discovery of new medicines and treatments that improve peoples lives and make a difference in the world. We are offering a role where you can learn new skills and be part of a team delivering scientific software. This is a junior developer position where you'll be responsible for the development and maintenance of our web application, BioRails. This will include maintenance of the central database, and ensuring good responsiveness. You will also be responsible for development work on both the front-end and back-end of the application. We're looking for someone who loves programming and is excited to learn new skills and techniques. This is a chance to be part of an experienced team who can help you build your career in software development.
- This position is based in our head quarters in Guildford UK and the applicant should expect to work in the office rather than remotely.
- Must currently have the right to live and work in the UK
These skills would be beneficial, but an absence of knowledge in these areas should not preclude applying for the position.
- Proficient understanding of source code version control e.g. Subversion, Git
- A working knowledge of SQL.
- Familiarity with development tools (e.g. rake, bundler, RubyMine)
- Familiarity with continuous integration
- Familiarity with Linux
- Familiarity with Oracle
Qualifications and experience requirements
- Bachelors degree (or above) - in computer science or a closely related field e.g. Computational Biology.
- Good working knowledge of object-oriented programming principles in one or more languages.
- Ability to deliver stable software from well documented requirements efficiently and as part of a team.
- Ability to write clear documentation for designs and contribute to discussions on software design.
- Enjoy working on complex and challenging problems.
- Experience with Ruby on Rails
- Experience with test-driven development
Accepted degree subjects
biology and life sciences · chemistry · computer sciences and IT
How to apply
Number of vacancies: Two
Closing date: Continuous recruitment
This job listing will no longer be available on Prospects from 30/05/2018