We are looking for a Trainee Accountant to join Unum as part of our Financial Development Programme 2020. The successful candidate will assist with and perform a range of financial tasks as required within Unum. To develop financial knowledge, business acumen and leadership skills and complete a relevant financial accreditation (ACCA, CIMA).
Principal duties and responsibilities
Successfully complete rotations in various parts of the finance organisation and broader business units (the number of rotations will vary depending on candidate and business needs – typically two to three); demonstrate outstanding work performance while in the assigned roles; demonstrate ability to work collaboratively and effectively with others; self-directed in completing high quality work within established timelines.
- Demonstrate commitment to career development and growing financial acumen by pursuing and achieving a relevant finance credential (ACCA, CIMA).
- Participate in regular monthly/quarterly financial cycle.
- Prepare meaningful financial reports for designated area and develop quality analysis that informs decision making.
- Demonstrate understanding of analysis by applying knowledge, anticipating issues, and demonstrating ownership of assigned tasks or processes. Leverage the analysis to make business recommendations.
- Continuous assessment of established training and work processes to identify areas for effectiveness and efficiency improvements. Contribute to operating effectiveness through information sharing, suggested process improvements and effective implementation of change.
- Maintain a specialised working knowledge in assigned tasks and analysis of Unum’s products, services and business processes including the issues and technical skills required to support specific business area.
- Communicate issues identified, proactively recommend the most appropriate/effective resolutions and present effectively to management.
- Work on and/or lead special projects that require research and analysis. May involve partnering with other business areas to identify and resolve issues.
- Ensure the continued protection of Unum’s information, by following all applicable Information security policies and procedures and by reporting suspected weaknesses in information security controls to the Information Security Officer.
- Understand how Conduct Risk, Treating Customers Fairly (TCF) Risk Management and Solvency II systems of governance relate to both the role and the divisional activities and highlight any opportunities for improvement.
- Comply with Unum’s code of conduct and other company policies and procedures as appropriate to the role.
What we are looking for
- Delivers results: sets high goals for personal accomplishment and contribution to team/area goals; monitors progress and works diligently to meet/exceed goals.
- Develops self: displays strong capacity and thirst for learning and developing broad business and leadership skills; openness to diverse ideas and experiences and has keen self-awareness re: strengths and areas of development.
- Makes effective decisions: evaluates options by thinking both critically and holistically when considering relevant information and potential implications to both the team and company; chooses an effective option.
- Strong business acumen: displays strong understanding of own department and good general understanding of overall business objectives, evolving customer needs and technological solutions; applies continuous improvement practices to enhance business processes and results.
- Strong teamwork: actively works collaboratively to help move the team toward the completion of team and business goals.
- Values driven: interacts with others, internally and externally, in a way that gives them confidence in one's intentions and those of the organization; operates with highest integrity/ethics.
Required knowledge and skills
- Intent to pursue and achieve relevant finance credential (ACCA, CIMA)
- Strong internship or equivalent work experience.
- IT literate with experience in using packages including Word and Excel and be willing to learn further skills.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to liaise with and lead teams, ensuring excellent levels of verbal and written communication at all times.
- Ability to work under pressure, managing own time to meet tight deadlines and managing competing and conflicting demands within your workload.
- Motivated, enthusiastic and enquiring.
- Basic knowledge of the financial services industry.
- Basic knowledge of systems and databases.
Bachelor’s degree in a finance related or numerical subject with a 2:1 or higher (in the last three years).
Accepted degree subjects
- accounting and finance
Additional job details
- Number of vacancies
- up to £28,000
salary depending on experience
How to apply
Click Apply to start your application now. This job will be available on Prospects until 7 October 2019
Don't forget to mention Prospects to employers when you contact them.
Closing date: 7 October 2019