An excellent opportunity has arisen for a Chemist to join the teams at four of our Hazardous Waste sites (South & Midlands) as part of the Graduate Development Programme. You will be rotating every six months, gaining valuable experience in a number of areas, including:
- Laboratory work - Combination of using wet analytical techniques and use of instrumentation for characterisation of waste inputs from customer samples; incoming bulk tankers and waste outputs such as filter cakes, SLF blends and solvent sales.
- Managing packaged wastes - Screening/checking of incoming loads, bulking drummed and packaged wastes and checking outgoing loads using chemical desktop assessments as well as other analytical techniques.
- Treatment plant - Working to control the chemical treatment process to ensure required end points are reached. This will involve taking samples from the reaction tanks, completing analysis and advising of adjustments to the process as required.
- Chempac (our mobile chemist service) - Working alongside experienced chemists as well as working independently at customer premises to identify materials; pack materials into suitable containers and transport to a transfer station or disposal point.
- Specialised treatment - Working to support experienced chemists and other technically competent staff to carry out bespoke technical work. For example, screening and bulking laboratory chemicals; processing gas cylinders; working on paint recycling project and producing waste blends for onward processing at other facilities.
- Technical assessments - Working with experienced staff to carry out desktop analysis of incoming waste enquiries and outgoing loads to characterise waste materials in accordance with legislation.
About your development
As part of the Graduate Development Programme, you will go through a structured management development programme, undertaking leadership and management modules with your graduate cohort. You will be supported in this by our People Development team.
Veolia supports the principle of equality and diversity in employment and opposes all forms of unlawful or unfair discrimination.
Six month rotations around Redbourn (St Albans), Stewartby (Bedford), Marchwood (Southampton) and Empire Works (Aldridge)
What we are looking for
- Analytical mindset
- Strong chemical awareness
- Interest in hazardous waste
- Proactive and self-motivated
- Ability to deal with stakeholders of all types, internal and external to Veolia.
- Full, clean driving licence
You need to be eligible to work in the UK without restriction on beginning employment and be able to take up permanent employment with the company. You’ll also need a full driving license on starting employment. During the recruitment process you’ll be required to provide original documentation.
Degree level qualification in chemistry (2:1 minimum by September 2020)
Accepted degree subjects
Additional job details
- St Albans
- West Midlands
- Competitive salary
How to apply
Click Apply to start your application now. This job will be available on Prospects until 17 January 2020
Don't forget to mention Prospects to employers when you contact them.
Closing date: 17 January 2020