Hockley Mint Limited (HM) and The School of Computing and Digital Technology at Birmingham City University (BCU) are seeking to appoint a high calibre graduate in the broad area of Business Information Systems Engineering. Birmingham City University is a large and diverse place to study right in the heart of Birmingham City Centre.
The School of Computing and Digital Technology at Birmingham City University (BCU) is partnering with Hockley Mint on a 24 month Knowledge Transfer Partnership (KTP). Hockley Mint Ltd is a prestigious award-winning Jewellery manufacturer and has been in business for over 65 years. HM designs & manufactures bespoke and batch jewellery for large retailers, retail outlets and direct retail alliances.
This position forms part of the Knowledge Transfer Partnership (KTP) programme co-funding by a grant through Innovate UK. It is essential you understand how KTP works with business and the University, and the vital role you will play if you successfully secure this position. KTPs offer a wide range of benefits including access to a £4,000 Personal Development budget to upskill during the project. More information on KTP
The successful graduate will be employed by the University and will be based full time at Hockley Mint Limited (Birmingham) (B18 6NG) and will lead on the technical development of the project and be supported by academics from BCU’s School of Computing and Digital Technology.
The project aims to embed cutting edge bespoke Software Engineering & Process Re-engineering techniques to deliver a modular and scalable digital solution referred to as JewelleryChain system. The system will provide end-to-end integration, streamlined internal business processes and an online portal to optimise B2B operations. The project will empower the company to achieve its digital transformation strategy.
The role requires the successful candidate to work closely and effectively with the company's IT and management staff as well as BCU staff, taking a leading role to:
- Analyse and re-design the existing business processes to improve end-to-end integration.
- Collaborate with internal and external stakeholders to gather the business system requirements.
- Design, develop, test and deploy the newly developed JewelleryChain system – the modular and scalable bespoke business system within the company and replace the existing legacy system.
- Develop a strategic and ambitious long-term plan for the use of JewelleryChain system within the company, enabling effective workflows and informed decision making.
- Help to embed and exploit the knowledge and expertise transferred during the project within the company and communicate any technical concepts appropriately and effectively to different stakeholders.
- Perform administrative tasks relevant to the project, as assigned by the line manager.
- Author reports for all stakeholders showing the progress of the project.
- Document research output in research papers and contribute to publications of international quality journals/conference during the KTP.
What we are looking for
- Strong programming skills and be comfortable developing in several Full Stack Web Development Frameworks, such as Java, Python and .NET frameworks.
- Good understanding of information systems and Database Technologies such as SQL and Reporting
- Working knowledge of DevOps practices system architecting and design
- Working knowledge of Issue tracking and Project Management software
- A deep understanding of Application Interface programming developments (APIs) such as Rest APIs.
- Practical working experience of latest software development approach such as Microservices an advantage.
- Understanding of systems integration and change management methodologies.
- Knowledge of business process modelling methods
- Enthusiastic, self-motivated and able to take a proactive role that will successfully deliver the work plan in the proposal.
- Practical interpersonal skills to establish good working relationships with colleagues, stakeholders and industrial partners.
- Excellent communication skills to express ideas adequately and articulate complicated matters between the academics and the company project team members either orally or in writing.
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving and computational skills along with being Adept at applying knowledge to commercial projects, driving value and making an impact where possible;
- Strong leadership and project management skills.
- Completion of substantial system development and/or business process re-engineering project in either University or industry.
- Educated to degree level in computer science or applied computing discipline with a First Class (or 2:1 Honours).
- A Master’s degree or PhD [awarded, recently submitted or near completion] in computing or closely related discipline will be an advantage
Accepted degree subjects
- computer sciences
Additional job details
- £28,000 - £33,000
- Contract, dates and working times
- Fixed term
How to apply
To apply for this role, please complete the online application and upload a copy of your CV. Candidates are advised to remove personal information to ensure a fair and transparent process.
Interviews will take place week commencing 19 October 2020.
Applications from job seekers who require Tier 2 sponsorship to work in the UK are welcome and will be considered alongside all other applications. However, non-EEA candidates may not be appointed to a post if a suitably qualified, experienced and skilled EU/EEA candidate is available to take up the post as the employing body is unlikely, in these circumstances, to satisfy the Resident Labour Market Test. The UK Visas and Immigration department requires employers to complete this test to show that no suitably qualified EEA or EU worker can fill the post. For further information please visit the UK Visas and Immigration website.
Please note on occasions where we receive a large number of applications, we may close the advert ahead of the publicised closing date. If this does happen, we will contact all candidates via email who have started but not yet completed their application, giving 48 hours’ notice. We would therefore advise that you submit your completed application as soon as possible.
Click Apply to start your application now. This job will be available on Prospects until 27 September 2020
Don't forget to mention Prospects to employers when you contact them.
Closing date: 27 September 2020